If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

r60/2 spark help !!

bmwr27

r60/2 spark help !!

Post by bmwr27 »

Hello can some one help me I picket up 1969 r60/2 how do I check for spark?

schrader7032

First thing to do is take the

Post by schrader7032 »

First thing to do is take the spark plugs out and put them back in the leads. Lay the plugs down on the engine fins and be sure that the plug threads are actually touching the engine. Then, with key on, try to use the kick starter. If you see any spark, that's a positive sign. The color should be "fat" and blue, whatever "fat" means! A yellow spark is weak.

Try new plugs. Check continuity between the end of the spark plug lead all the way to where they screw into the coil which is under the engine front cover. You may see some triangular shaped points underneath the coil. These are called the safety gaps. The distance between the tip of the point and the coil lead should be around 10mm. If it's too small, the spark will jump here instead of at the plug. If the gap is too big, it won't matter to your situation...but still it should be set to 10mm.

The magneto needs to be aligned properly to get the spark at the proper time. The points need to be set such that the points open and close. It could be that your points are either always open or always closed. Either situation will result in no spark.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

cburgess594

It is very well said

Post by cburgess594 »

It is very well said schrader7032, but if you have the confusions (which you don't know what to do really). Better take it to the technician.