If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Need case dimensions to distinguish between R60 and R69 cases

hazey999

Need case dimensions to distinguish between R60 and R69 cases

Post by hazey999 »

I am trying to determine what part(s) are incorrect for my project. I thought I had an R69 engine case (altered serial number?) but an R69 crank does not fit into it. Dan at Cycleworks suggested I may have an R60 (early) case, which is 3mm shorter than a /2 case. I need to verify this. Can I get a measurement from anyone of:
- front opening minus front bearing carrier to rear with bearing carrier installed of either /2 or early R60 case
- any other distinguishing feature

My case, looking into the front, has a #2 stamped inside on the lower left rear wall (clue?) As I said, I am not certain the serial umber stamped on the case is authentic.

Thanks
1959 R69

hazey999

OK...problem solved

Post by hazey999 »

Hi,

As it turns out, I was right and the serial number on my case had been altered. Most likely, my R69 was in an accident in which the engine case was not repairable, and the owner/repair guy had an R60 case laying around with a similar serial number, so they decided to use that, and change a couple of numbers to maintain the appearance of an original case. The ethics of that?, a fraud on all levels. I have no problem with not having matching frame and engine numbers, I just want to ride the thing. Not knowing I had an R60 case, I decided I wanted the original R69 crank in there, not knowing it wouldn't fit, and I'd also have to change the slingers, spacers, front main bearing carrier, etc. Expensive lessons, but at least I'm learning.
1959 R69

schrader7032

Did I mention the Orphan

Post by schrader7032 »

Did I mention the Orphan List? It is a running list of frames, cases, etc., that are missing their mates. Worth checking once in a while.

http://bmwvmca.org/joomla/

If you want me to enter your information into the list, let me know. I have access to the list and can make updates.

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.