If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Engine oil level

thCapn

Engine oil level

Post by thCapn »

I'm sure this is a tired old subject for some of you, but I can't find the answer I'm looking for using the search function.

I am fettling with my first vintage BMW, a '68 R60/US. I changed the oil per Clymer and Barrington, removed and cleaned the pan, cranked it a couple times to get any last dribbles out and then added 4.2 pints of oil (per the book). When I check the level with the dipstick (appears to be the original dipstick), the oil is a good half-inch above the two marks on the stick. I don't screw the stick in to check it, I simply remove it, wipe it, slide it in, pull it out and check it (that's what she said).

Like I said, the oil level measures a good half-inch above the two marks on the stick. That leads me to believe I added too much oil, but I went by the book. Is 4.2 pints too much or is my dipstick whacked? So to speak.
th' Cap'n
Portland, Oregon, USA

Darryl.Richman

You have a funny way of

Post by Darryl.Richman »

You have a funny way of expressing your question! :D

I wouldn't want to overfill the engine with oil, especially as I believe the late ones (like yours) did not have the windage plate between the sump and the crank area. Whipping air into the oil is not good for your engine. If it were mine, I would remove enough oil to bring it back to the top mark and calculate the right amount for the next oil change.
--Darryl Richman

schrader7032

I guess the 2L specified in

Post by schrader7032 »

I guess the 2L specified in the owner's manul is 2.2 pints. I buy 2 quarts of oil from my dealer and use that. Turns out that's about 1.8L so it works out about right in terms of the dipstick. I don't think these bikes like oil filled right up to the top mark. Usually what happens is some gets pushed out or burned off and tends to settle in around mid dipstick. Like Darryl says, provided the dipstick is correct and the oil pan is stock, that much over the top mark can't be good for seals, etc.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

thCapn

I know that overfilling is

Post by thCapn »

I know that overfilling is bad, I'm just trying to get a handle on why it shows as overfilled when I followed the instructions and added the specified amount of oil? 4.2 pints is a hair under 2 liters.

Does anybody have a manual for R60 that suggests a different amount of oil?

Perhaps someone here can do a test for me: Check your oil level with your dipstick per normal and measure the length of dry stick from the bottom of the cap to the oil line.

Help a brutha out?
th' Cap'n
Portland, Oregon, USA

schrader7032

Duane Ausherman has a manual

Post by schrader7032 »

Duane Ausherman has a manual on-line. Go to his website and search for manual. See page 34 or 35.

I did the measurements on my R69S...I suspect the same as the R60/2. The distance from the underside of the cap to the oil line is 198mm. My bike is filled very nearly to the full mark on the dipstick. The distance from the undersid of the cap to the full mark is around 195-196mm.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

c.d.iesel

correct oil dip stick ?

Post by c.d.iesel »

I would post a photo of your dip stick,
with a ruler beside it - so members can compare yours
to a correct/accurate dip stick

if your motor has the original steel oil pan,
simple draining and refilling with 2 liters
should result an oil level to the top mark
VBMWMO#5514- '64 R27 15K #383851 - '86 R65 22K #6128390 - Retired m/c road racer (1971-2000) - Former M-Benz Star Tech 19 years, BMW auto master tech, BMW bike cert tech 27 years. Now retired to Hillsboro, NH.

thCapn

Sorry, I forgot to de-res the

Post by thCapn »

Sorry, I forgot to de-res the images before uploading.

[img=1024x768]http://scooterracer.com/funpix/dipstick1.jpg[/img]
[img=1024x768]http://scooterracer.com/funpix/dipstick2.jpg[/img]

What you cannot see in the pix is a dimple that was made about a half inch above the oil level lines. That dimple is ~197mm from the bottom of the cap and that is where the oil level is. So, based on what has been said so far, the oil level is at ~197mm, which is the correct level. This would then appear to be a dipstick from another model of bike that was marked to show the proper level for this particular model.

My next question is what model of bike is this stick from? Not that it matters all that much, now that I know there is a mark to show the correct level.

Thanks for everybody's help in solving the mystery.
th' Cap'n
Portland, Oregon, USA

Darryl.Richman

Not original

Post by Darryl.Richman »

That is quite clearly not the original dipstick for your bike. I don't know what it's from, but it isn't from any BMW I'm familiar with.
--Darryl Richman

808Airhead

I would just make new marks

Post by 808Airhead »

I would just make new marks on that dipstick and roll with it. Only an original dipstick will give an accurate level. That aftermarket/home made dipstick looks longer than the factory one.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

c.d.iesel

/2 Twin dip stick

Post by c.d.iesel »

here's the correct dip stick - availabe on Ebay now -
i'm not connected to the sale - just an example for you

http://www.sportslinkup.com/shop/0-Bmw- ... OWEST.html

VBMWMO#5514- '64 R27 15K #383851 - '86 R65 22K #6128390 - Retired m/c road racer (1971-2000) - Former M-Benz Star Tech 19 years, BMW auto master tech, BMW bike cert tech 27 years. Now retired to Hillsboro, NH.