If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Frame Bent?

Bruce Frey

I am almost 100% sure that

Post by Bruce Frey »

I am almost 100% sure that the back of the Earles fork will interfere with the engine given the amount of deflection in the tubes. The rearward displacement of the fork will be 2 or 3 times the top tube deflection, which appears to be about an inch.

My last frame job, which was extensive, was around $500 about 6 or 7 years ago.

Bruce

515PHOTO

I'm betting you are right.

Post by 515PHOTO »

I'm betting you are right. Plus there is the possibility of issues with the earles. The good news is I just scored a wheel so there will be less guessing and more head shaking soon.
Thanks all.
82 R100RT, 64 R60/2, 2018 R1200RT
61 R27 and boy do I need parts-- got any?
Oh no, wifes coming home- get the engine out of the oven!
"Are those bearings in the freezer?!" she calmly inquired

GearHeadDiver

I had the same issue with my

Post by GearHeadDiver »

I had the same issue with my R25/3 frame....the backbone and downtubes were bent so nicely that I thought it was stock.
Vern is THE man to send your frame to, excellent work and VERY good to deal with. Did take a while, but the perfect job (and cost) were WELL worth it! Highly recommend him!
Richard was kind enough to send a "known" straight frame to Vern to check measurements.....so Vern would be your best bet!

Good luck.

c.d.iesel

don't even think about MOTOGIRO with a bent R27

Post by c.d.iesel »

many many miles are riden at flat out speeds during the MOTOGIRO's
on-dirt and 2-lane blacktop roads - your machine better track dead
straight coming off the many mountain top roads - your brakes
better be like 'new' also. It's a F A S T event ridden on well
prepared machines, maybe riden by 50% active or retired licensed
road racers. Hope you make it out there soon.
c.d.

VBMWMO#5514- '64 R27 15K #383851 - '86 R65 22K #6128390 - Retired m/c road racer (1971-2000) - Former M-Benz Star Tech 19 years, BMW auto master tech, BMW bike cert tech 27 years. Now retired to Hillsboro, NH.

515PHOTO

Oh, you saw me out

Post by 515PHOTO »

Oh, you saw me out there.--3rd in 125 class at the Catskills on a S90--Just feels wrong to be on a Honda as a 30 year BMW rider...
Thanks for the frame fixing reccomendations. I'll call around to see who can take this in to make it right. I see wildly varying estimates for shipping a frame. Anyone have actual presonal recent experience with the shrink wrap and take to USPS plan for inexpensive shipping? Will they really take it? They seem to have gotten picky. I remember putting an address and stamp on balloons back in the day--they had a sense of humor then. Amazing how many made it intact!
Larry
82 R100RT, 64 R60/2, 2018 R1200RT
61 R27 and boy do I need parts-- got any?
Oh no, wifes coming home- get the engine out of the oven!
"Are those bearings in the freezer?!" she calmly inquired

miller6997

I don't know about USPS, but

Post by miller6997 »

I don't know about USPS, but Fedex and UPS rates go ballistic when you exceed their standard dimensions.

I have had good luck with Greyhound Freight. I shipped four vintage Mercedes doors (in separate packages) and a complete bumper from coast to coast, and they arrived intact in less than a week. Shipping charges are very competitive and they will take large, odd-shaped items. It may fit into a bicycle shipping carton of the sort that riders use when they take their bikes on airplanes. If this doesn't work, you can cover the frame in a couple of layers of bubble-wrap and then wrap the thick stretch plastic that looks like Saran-wrap over the whole thing. Drop it off at the nearest Greyhound freight depot, listed on their website. The person you are sending it to has to agree to pick it up at the local depot on their end.

Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

schrader7032

Check with your frame

Post by schrader7032 »

Check with your frame fixers...they likely have recommendations on how to ship and how to protect the frames.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.