If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Frame Bent?

515PHOTO

Frame Bent?

Post by 515PHOTO »

Hi all,
Finally getting the 61 R27 engine back together. Now looking at the frame. I am trying to determine if this frame is bent. This photo shows my first concern. Should the backbone be straight or is the bend right? Is there any resource for an owner to figure out how close to OK a frame is short of assembeling and running or shipping to a frame place?
Thanks for any insight.
Larry
Attachments
frame_2.jpg
frame_2.jpg (459.38 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
82 R100RT, 64 R60/2, 2018 R1200RT
61 R27 and boy do I need parts-- got any?
Oh no, wifes coming home- get the engine out of the oven!
"Are those bearings in the freezer?!" she calmly inquired

Bruce Frey

Both the top tube and the

Post by Bruce Frey »

Both the top tube and the down tube seem to be bent at the ends of the gusset plates, so I think it was in a collision and is bent. What does the fork look like? Have you had the bike together? Did you buy a basket case?

Vern Fueston at GT Enterprises has straightened and repaired two prewar frames for me. He is slow but dependable. The Frame Man is also highly recommended. Both are in the the Resource Links section of the website. I think it is possible for me to figure out where it is wrong, but I know I do not have the skill or the technology to straighten a frame.

Bruce

schrader7032

Here's a similar picture of

Post by schrader7032 »

Here's a similar picture of my R25/2. My top tube appears to be perfectly straight.

Attachments
r25toptube.jpg
r25toptube.jpg (207.45 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

808Airhead

You can still build it and

Post by 808Airhead »

You can still build it and call it a "short wheel base model"...?
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

515PHOTO

Well now that was my hopefull

Post by 515PHOTO »

This is a basket case. I don't even have a front wheel right now. I am going to put the earles on to eyeball it soon.
Regarding 'just build it'. That was my hopefull thinking. If: 1) the steering head is back straight--not twisted left or right. (confirm with a long pipe put through the head) and 2) the rear-most part of the earles does not hit the engine/exhaust/frame.
I would guess the reduced wheelbase--arrived at through less rake--may cause some stability issues. While this will never see the freeway it may see some sprightly speeds when trying to get back on course during a motogiro someday!
Opinions?

schrader7032

Can you make an estimate as

Post by schrader7032 »

Can you make an estimate as to how far back the rear part of the Earles fork will come relative to the engine case? Maybe someone can measure theirs and see if there's going to be a problem. I recall that the early versions of the twins had minimal clearance between the Earles fork and the front engine cover and that under some severe braking conditions, it was possible for it to touch.
Kurt in S.A.

sonofrust

No front wheel, frame bent as

Post by sonofrust »

No front wheel, frame bent as pictured... Your bike was in an accident and you really should get the frame properly inspected and sorted. How is it going to feel if you do a lot of work and spend a lot of money on this rebuild and the thing doesn't handle? It's clearly a potential safety issue, and you owe it to yourself and/or the next purchaser to make it right. You have to calculate this essential step into the total cost of the resto. If it's determined to be too complex or expensive, I'd quit and move the project along to the next brave man or sell the bike for parts. I know that a lot of folks here cringe at the thought of breaking up a bike and selling the pieces. Fact is, good R27 parts are worth a lot, fairly easy to sell on eBay, and the money you earn may very well exceed the value of the basket case project. At this point in time, I believe that these bikes need to be restored to a certain standard due to the increased desirability and value they now possess. Going through all of this effort and not attending to the frame is bad move IMHO. You know that 808 was joking about the short wheelbase option, right? Good luck with your project! Doug
1964 BMW R60/2, 2010 Harley-Davidson Road King Police, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14

515PHOTO

I am fairly sure that a

Post by 515PHOTO »

I am fairly sure that a correction is in this frames future. Actually running it like it is is probably a bad idea. Right now I want to get it right enough to mount the engine and sort that out. Anyone know of anyone in northern New England that has a good frame I can sit this one next to and get out the tape measure?
And those that have had a frame fixed: $? appx.

schrader7032

Check with Chris Betjemann in

Post by schrader7032 »

Check with Chris Betjemann in Barrington Motor Works.

Kurt in S.A.

sonofrust

Yeah, having Barrington in

Post by sonofrust »

Yeah, having Barrington in your neck of the woods puts you way ahead of the curve on this one.... Cheers! Doug
1964 BMW R60/2, 2010 Harley-Davidson Road King Police, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14