If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Engine Casing

hubertjg

Engine Casing

Post by hubertjg »

Hi to all,

I just had my engine casing and gearbox casing bead blasted, came out 100%!
Does anyone know what I can seal the raw aluminium with? As it seems to pick up oil and dirt stains very quickly. I know it depends on the tempretures, but I do not know the max the engine runs at!
Any advise or insight will be appriciated as I do not want to ruin a brand "new" engine!

Thanks
1964 R50/2
2001 R1150GS

Darryl.Richman

The usual suggestion is to

Post by Darryl.Richman »

The usual suggestion is to wipe the cases with WD-40 every now and again to keep them from oxidizing.

I would not recommend clear coating the cases; the one attempt at this I saw yellowed within a couple years and started chipping off. The aluminum really changes size when it gets warm.
--Darryl Richman

schrader7032

Not to mention that the rough

Post by schrader7032 »

Not to mention that the rough nature of the casting helps to increase the surface area for allowing heat to be drawn from the casting. Anything that is done to overly fill in or defeat this surface texture can hamper that effect.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Wynand

I think the Barrington manuel

Post by Wynand »

I think the Barrington manuel recommends rubbing with petroleum jelly.
R50, R60/6, R90s

hubertjg

I will definately try the

Post by hubertjg »

I will definately try the w40, I never thought of that, thats why I love this forum! Thanks guys,
PS Wynand, won't jelly make it shine?
1964 R50/2
2001 R1150GS

Wynand

The petroleum jelly acts as a

Post by Wynand »

The petroleum jelly acts as a solvent for the grease and dirt on the aluminium pores and can be wiped away when the engine has become warm. It therefore acts as a cleaner and protector. Try a small section and see how it looks/works for you.
R50, R60/6, R90s

sonofrust

The Barrington manual does

Post by sonofrust »

The Barrington manual does say that bead blasting the case can be dangerous, as any blast residue can really screw up your engine if it remains inside. I'd read those admonitions before proceeding. Once assembled, it's easy for me to keep a clean casting nice with an occasional wash using Simple Green. A brass wire brush with WD40 works on whatever the green cleaner leaves behind. Personally, I like when the case gets some of it's dark patina back after some use. Good luck!
1964 BMW R60/2, 2010 Harley-Davidson Road King Police, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14

karl_dahlquist

Can an engine cover be "unpolished"?

Post by karl_dahlquist »

The prior owner of my 1956 R60 polished the front cover of the engine. Is there a way I can restore the original finish/texture so it matches the rest of the engine and transmission?

miller6997

You can dull it down, but the

Post by miller6997 »

You can dull it down, but the problem is that the blasting smooths out the irregularities, or pores, that give it its distinctive appearance. It will never match the rest of the motor. Watch ebay. Sooner or later a good one will show up. I snagged one for my brother's R50 for under a hundred dollars.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

hubertjg

Hi Guys

Post by hubertjg »

It shows you must be on the forum daily,
Before reading the post from sonofrust, I proceeded, and happy days!, there is residue in my motor, I am scratching head about cleaning it, I thought of parafine, rinsing it a few times, any thoughts on that.
I can kick myself, but I suppose thats the school fees for a new enthusiast!!
1964 R50/2
2001 R1150GS