If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60 Gearbox Variations

DBs59R60

R60 Gearbox Variations

Post by DBs59R60 »

I've just joined the vintage BMW after purchasing my 59 R60 last year. I fell in love with them after finding a genuine workshop manual at the local rubbish dump. Just couldn't see something like that go to waste. So I brought it home, sat it on the shelf in the workshop then 12 months later decided to go a find a bike to match. I found a manual then bought a bike to go with it , Strange but true . stranger was I was able to pick a bike up locally of an older gentleman who had lovingly looked after the bike for many years and decided he couldn't ride anymore I guess it must have been suppose to happen
The bike is in excellent condition , original paint job and mechanically pretty good apparently the motor has 5000 miles since it was rebuilt , from how it runs and sounds I'm confident it's was done.
I've been working my way through the bike and checking it out ,no surprises yet.
After a recent ride I noticed the gearbox was noisier than usual ,sounds like one of bearings may be on the way-out???? . There are no problems shifting gears and I haven't seen any metal in the oil
When I pull the clutch in the noise goes away when I release it the low grumble is heard. Nothing loud just , what I'd say is worn bearing noise.

I'm looking at overhauling the gearbox , I've looked at the ulis motorradladen site ,(I've used then for some minor bits n pieces spares and they appear to ok to deal with) and noted that they seem to bundle up the gearbox parts for twins models from 1955 to 1969 R24-r69
From my online reading I'm sure there are differences but I don't know what to look out for

Can anyone give me a heads up on what differences to be aware of with respect to the gearboxes 59's
and others years models?

schrader7032

Roland Slabon's book doesn't

Post by schrader7032 »

Pretty cool story...buy the book and then get the bike!

Roland Slabon's book doesn't indicate there's much difference between the '55 to '69 twin transmissions. There was a change late in the period, like 1967 where different seals were used. Prior to that, 40w motor oil was the lubricant but with the new seals, Hypoid 90 oil was used. There were different transmissions for solo and sidecar.

Certainly, there are differences between the singles and twin transmissions.

Maybe the noise is just a major imbalance between the carbs?? Watching the magnetic drain plug for extra fuzz would be a good sign something was going bad. Also, if the bike keeps jumping out of gear would indicating pending problems.

Depending on where you're located, a great resource in the US is Craig 'Vech' Vechorik at Bench Mark Works. He knows these bikes inside and out.

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

DBs59R60

Thanks Kurt I'll look up the

Post by DBs59R60 »

Thanks Kurt

I'll look up the contact. I'm based in Australia so visiting might be a problem. I've also found that freight costs from the US are a killer, why I don't know we're pretty much the same distance from Europe and the US?
You also answered one of my other questions regarding gearbox oil
So the main issue in using Hypoid 90 rather than w40 is the seals? I hadn't been able to find much information on it.

Thanks Again

David B

schrader7032

David - The book I referred

Post by schrader7032 »

David -

The book I referred to is "How to Restore Your BMW Motorcycle Twin 1955-1969" and can be found on Amazon, etc. It's out of print but used copies can be had, still pretty expensive:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/books/restore-bmw.htm

Check out this service bulletin which describes the issue with the transmission and seals:

http://www.beemergarage.com/documents/254.pdf

Look over the beemergarage website; lots of good stuff available.
Kurt in S.A.

Dave Reina

Gearbox oil

Post by Dave Reina »

Hi David,

Yes, the current choice for gearbox lube is 90 wt. but it must be the type without sulfur compounds in the oil. The sulfur attacks the bronze bits in the gearbox.

Dave Reina
Dave Reina
Brooklyn, NY

DBs59R60

Dave How can you tell if they

Post by DBs59R60 »

Dave

How can you tell if they have sulfur compounds? Do you have any brands that you use.?

DBs59R60

Thanks Kurt. Much

Post by DBs59R60 »

Thanks Kurt.

Much appreciated.

David

schrader7032

Generally, GL5 oils will have

Post by schrader7032 »

Generally, GL5 oils will have some sulphur, some more than others. GL4 supposedly doesn't have sulphur. Vech has an article about it on his website:

http://www.benchmarkworks.com/articles/ ... aroil.html

Vech probably has some good points, but I've not seen or heard about the wholesale destruction of gearboxes when using sulphur in the gear oil. He mentions gear boxes made before 1992...not sure why that specific date. I've been running GL5 in my /7 gearbox for nearly 100K miles...no problems. Oak Okleshen, master BMW guru also has commented on not seeing any issues with /5-on transmission. I mean I just don't see the sides of roads littered with broken down /2s. There are a lot of people out there who are just going about their business and go to their local auto parts store and buy whatever they can get, which is GL5. If that's true, then where are those people who then need rebuilds of their transmissions?

But there are souces for GL4 if it is of a concern...
Kurt in S.A.

DBs59R60

All my questions

Post by DBs59R60 »

All my questions answered.....
I should have joined you guys months ago.

You now have the title of WOK..... Wealth Of Knowledge....