If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Starting issues with '67 R60/2

elobc

Starting issues with '67 R60/2

Post by elobc »

Hi everyone-

So I previously posted about a seized engine- a few of you got it right- valve seat dropped out. After replacing the seat and the valve, the bike is up and running again. Thanks to everyone for the help.

The next issue-

I am having trouble kick starting when the bike has warmed up. The first start of the day starts on either the first or second kick. I turn the fuel and ignition on, tickle the carbs 3-5 times each, and kick it over and its great. If I ride for a while, turn the bike off, and go to start it again, it takes a good while to kick it started again, maybe 20 times.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

TrophyMoto

original coil?

Post by TrophyMoto »

original coil?

schrader7032

Yup, a symptom of a failing

Post by schrader7032 »

Yup, a symptom of a failing coil. But, you might also be flooding the bike when hot. You didn't mention your starting routine when hot. For my R69S, I have to keep away from the gas. As a matter of fact, I don't tickle at all, even leave the petcock off until started. I also open the throttle 100% and kick about 4-6 times...this helps to reduce the possible flooded situation in the combustion chamber. After that, I release the throttle, key on, and give it one kick...usually rumbles to life and then I coax it with the throttle...don't forget to turn the petcock on.

I have replaced my original coil with Vech's Emerald Isle coil, but turns out my problem really wasn't the coil...just the starting technique.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

TrophyMoto

Starting ritual could be a

Post by TrophyMoto »

Starting ritual could be a whole thread in itself! on my '63 r60 , cold- tickle 2-3 sec each side ,throttle JUST lifting the slide,1 kick.
Hot, no tickle,throttle JUST lifting the slide,1 kick.
A buddy of mine rides a Royal Enfield, it has a quite a process to start, and just to needle him I start my /2 with my hand all the time.

elobc

Thanks for the advice. I

Post by elobc »

Thanks for the advice.

I believe it is the original coil. I will first attempt some of the mentioned starting techniques.

If not, I will replace the coil. Is this a difficult do it yourself fix?

How does this look for an inexpensive quick replacement?

Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-R50- ... _500wt_956

schrader7032

That won't work...notice that

Post by schrader7032 »

That won't work...notice that the ad calls for /5 and on type BMWs. Different animal. That coil is for "battery-coil" ignition...the /2 has a "magneto ignition".

The only sure thing and easy to install is the coil by Vech:

12 13 8 004 104--ignition coil R51/3-R69S rewound in exchange for your old coil
12 13 8 004 104R--ignition coil R51/3-R69S reproduction NEW SOURCE!

The rewind might or might not work...I've read mixed results with that. Get the reproduction...it's solid state. Mounts in the same spot as the existing coil, timing doesn't have to be adjusted, and hides underneath the front engine cover.

Trust us!!
Kurt in S.A.

TrophyMoto

I think it's easy. But I

Post by TrophyMoto »

I think it's easy. But I don't know your abilities. The one on ebay is not the correct unit.
This is what I use and recommend!It's at the bottom of the page. http://www.motoelekt.com/ignition.htm
I have also used the points plate listed near the top for the last 15 years and also recommend it!
You will also need to time your new mag, that's the key to easy starts! This also is not hard, but you do need to understand how it works any why. The more you know ,the better it gets!!

schrader7032

Note that the one at the

Post by schrader7032 »

Note that the one at the bottom of Rick's page referenced above is the same as what Vech sells. So, it comes down to the vendor you like to frequent.

I agree that timing of the magneto is very important. It's also important to know that magneto timing and ignition timing are two separate steps. But just switching the coil doesn't affect the magneto timing, so it is not a "new magneto". Just wanted to be clear.
Kurt in S.A.

TrophyMoto

yes mag timing and ignition

Post by TrophyMoto »

yes mag timing and ignition timing are two separate thing,but,If your base setting for your mag is not VERY close it will never start well.
Many folks fiddle with the "mag housing" to try and set the timing. That's how I did it before I knew any better! "this thing won't go where I need it.... hey what do these little nuts do...." well you get the picture..

schrader7032

The aftermarket manuals have

Post by schrader7032 »

The aftermarket manuals have it all wrong regarding those nuts on the mag housing. At best, it can be used to achieve optimum magneto timing if after positioning the rotor, you're just a skosh off. But once set, you don't touch the mag housing again. The points timing has its own adjustment screws. Vech has an article on timing the magneto:

http://www.benchmarkworks.com/articles/ ... start.html

Kurt in S.A.