If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

TP VIN number

norrisk66

TP VIN number

Post by norrisk66 »

I have what I was told was a 1953 BMW R67/2. That is what my title says. I emailed my VIN to Andreas at BMW in Germany. He told me that the vin is a Typfruhnner (sp?) VIN which is registered with the German TUV. The frame and engine number both match-but they both begin with TP. Andreas told me that this bike was a "mild custom" possibly put together in the early 60's by a German custom bike builder and then assigned this TP VIN number.

I also had some trouble finding a fuel petcock as well as seals for the carbs. When I ordered seals for the carbs with the Bing carb numbers, the carbs come back as belonging to an early BMW R69S engine. So I am assuming that the engine in this bike is the higher compression R69 motor.

My question is-has anyone ran into this modified type of bike before, and is there any way to get a build sheet on it or any more info?

This is my first post to this site.

axel69s

Hi NORRISK66, the german TUV

Post by axel69s »

Hi NORRISK66,

the german TUV will give the TP number for custom built bikes. If You buy a brand new BMW frame, complete it with motor & parts, You will get a TP number and a actual built date. Up to the 80ies when papers got lost, sometimes the TUV also went this way. In these times they were somewhat lazy to collect the data. It was often done if you bought a crashed motorcycle and rebuilt it with a new frame.
So You can't get any further Information on it,as it is (at least paperwise) one of a kind.
I think this was done before 1980 as later on the engine number was not longer registered in the papers.
If the engine carries it's number on it's right side and there is only the TP number, You can be shure the engine was bought as a spare part.

Assumed story:
Maybe the previous owner just wanted to get 42 HP of the 69s or 50hp of a Kayser Motor legalized and he got no approval from BMW. Then the trick is to be the builder yourself. With the TP number it is not longer a BMW but a NORRISK66 and may have features BMW does not provide.
The paper would say "Eigenbau unter Verwendung von BMW Originalteilen"
Means custom built by using BMW original parts.

To identify The engine - have a look on the cylinders - if the have a nose front & rear they are R67/x or R60.
If not have a look at Your heads wether they have 2 extra bolts one under the spark plug & one opposite

Or just insert a picture

Regards Axel

norrisk66

Thanks for the info. I will

Post by norrisk66 »

Thanks for the info. I will try to get some pics of the engine posted this weekend.

I removed the rims and tires to have them replaced today. While the back tire was off, I noticed a sticker inside the fender that could not be seen with the tire on. After cleaning mud off of the sticker, I found that it said " Webco, Inc"

I googled this and found they were a company in Venice, CA back in the early 60's. Does any one know about Webco?

TrophyMoto

there are webco heads for

Post by TrophyMoto »

there are webco heads for yamaha rd's, don't know if it's the same webco?

schrader7032

Yeah, I search for both Webco

Post by schrader7032 »

Yeah, I search for both Webco and BMW together and get some interesting hits...

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

norrisk66

The TP vin number is on the

Post by norrisk66 »

The TP vin number is on the left side of the engine right above the push rod tubes. The frame vin which matches the engine number is on the left rear shock tower.

The carb numbers are 1/26/91 and 1/26/92

here are some pics of the heads.

norrisk66

http://i122.photobucket.com/a

Post by norrisk66 »

R68

...Interesting motor,

Post by R68 »

...Interesting motor, manufactured before 1955, possibly a factory replacement crankcase stamped to match a custom bike. The heads are R68-R69-R69S, the carbs later R69S...good for you!