If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60/2 Manual

cj_gregor

R60/2 Manual

Post by cj_gregor »

Hello All: I'm a "newbie", just purchased my 1st BMW, a 1964 R60 and will have it shipped very soon. The bike has low miles and was well cares for so I don't think it will need much right away, but will eventually. Any recommendations on what service I should do when the bike arrives, before any long rides?
Since this is all very new to me I need recommendations on service manuals. I would like one that gives not only all specs and maintenance interval info but also engine/drivetrain detail with drawings or photos...something along the lines of a "Motors" or "Chilton" book for an old car. Thanks. Any suggestions will be very helpful.

Peter

Hi and welcome, the best

Post by Peter »

Hi and welcome, the best place to start (apart from the free link Jeff has given above) is to buy the Barrington Motor Works - BMW /2 Motorcycle Restoration and Service Manual which you can buy direct from Barrington Motor Works. Explore the Resource Link on this website and it will give you detail on repairers and service providers in your area.
R42, R12, R51/3, R69S

jeff dean

owner's manual

Post by jeff dean »

[h3]Jeff Dean
Friend of the Marque, Co-Founder VBMWMO (1972)
http://bmwdean.com --- http://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm[/h3]

[img]http://bmwdean.com/r75-200.jpg[/img]

schrader7032

Clymers provides reasonable

Post by schrader7032 »

Clymers provides reasonable pictures to work from. Your best bet is to get several manuals so you can get the best of all of them.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Zeno Lee

I have the Clymers manual,

Post by Zeno Lee »

I have the Clymer manual, the owners manual, the Barrington book, and the Doug Rinckes /2 electrics manual. I also got all the videos from Cycleworks.

They all provide information at different levels and complement each other.

The Clymers manual is great for the amount of pictures and layout. For example, it is the only manual from the list above where you can actually figure out the headlight switch layout because it has a picture.

Barrington manual is the most comprehensive but lacks pictures. It's the most up to date.

I am on the lookout for the Roland Slabon book. Because it's out of print, it's very expensive.
'62 R69S
'65 R50/2
'76 R90/6

schrader7032

Roland's Book

Post by schrader7032 »

I am on the lookout for the Roland Slabon book. Because it's out of print, it's very expensive.

Zeno -

In case you don't know, Roland's book is not really about restoring a bike even though that's what the title suggests. It is, though, a comprehensive look at what options, features, and changes were made along the way. He lists VIN numbers when things happened, etc. I suspect he had a chance to work with BMW to research these changes and put them together in one place. Still, a nice book to have.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

TrophyMoto

no one has mentioned the

Post by TrophyMoto »

no one has mentioned the factory manual, I use it all the time! I also have the Clymer but would like the have the Barrington as well.