If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

New to Forum Do I need lead substitute in my fuel?

papagator71

New to Forum Do I need lead substitute in my fuel?

Post by papagator71 »

After many years of storage, I have my 1978 R80/7 back on the road. I was told not to worry about the lead substitute, My wife and I have been invited on a trip to California from Michigan and the first 2 days are planned for 600+ miles at 70mph on expressway. Am I asking too much from the old beemer? She only has 38000 miles and is in good shape. Also, should I use the tire p.s.i. rating on the newer tubeless tire which I have a tube in, or go by the original spec. in manual, which is a much lower p.s.i.?

later...........................................................papagator

schrader7032

The bike should be fine for

Post by schrader7032 »

The bike should be fine for the trip...I would just be sure you have a good tune up and oils all changed.

There has been a recent discussion about lead additives...it was "recommended fuel" on 4/22. Type the word lead in the search box at the upper left.

The /7s can have problems with valve clearances, more so the 1000cc bikes than the 800s. Make sure the valves are set properly...I suggest 0.15mm intake and 0.20mm exhaust. Monitor those clearances over time. If they begin to close up rapidly in say 500 miles, then you're looking at needing a top end job soon.

As for tire pressures, since you have modern tires, you should use modern pressures. I ride mostly solo on my /7 and have been using 31/32 front and 36 rear. If you're two up, you might bump the front tire to 32/33 front and 38-39 rear. There is a max cold inflation pressure on the side of the tire...I would recommend to not go near that number...it's probably like 42 or something.

BTW...what kind of tires do you have? There are tire websites that might also provide some guidance. And maybe an email address to send them your question.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

papagator71

Thanks for info.

Post by papagator71 »

Kurt,
Thanks for the info. I have the valve clearance at .004 in. for Intake and .006in. EX. Was going to set at .004 and .008 next adj. before trip. also will need to check cyl. head torque as there is a little oil film at cyl base and at head gasket.
I purchased an AVON RoadRider 4.00V 18 for rear and have a Metzler on the front.

later......................................................Mike

schrader7032

Mike - 0.004 intake is

Post by schrader7032 »

Mike -

0.004 intake is probably OK...I just prefer 0.006. I think 0.008 for exhaust is good to allow the valve to rest on the seat just a little longer for heat transfer.

On that head torque, I would say to shoot for 25 ft-lbs...that's really good enough and helps to avoid stripping the bolts out of the case. Might not get rid of the leaks since they've already started. I just leave with the weeping from my cylinder bases.

Sounds like those are good tires...actually that's the exact combo I have on my /7.

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.