If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Advice on R69 with no frame number

miller6997

Frame Stamp

Post by miller6997 »

Here is a poor shot of my frame stamp. I'll try to get a better picture later today.
Attachments
frame_stamp.jpg
frame_stamp.jpg (56.82 KiB) Viewed 1112 times
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

Wynand

I dont think one should read

Post by Wynand »

I dont think one should read to much into the smoothness of the metal. From the horizontal lines, it is clear that something like sandpaper must have been used to "clean" the area and then polished to smoothen it up. Maybe a wider angle pick can reveal the texture of the rest of the engine. It could have been only this spesific area which were smoothend/polished. If the whole engine case has a smooth finish, well I suppose that can put another spinn on things.

I have gone scanned though several pictures of engine numbers which I have "collected" from all over. What is obvious is that there is no clear right from wrong in terms of the numbers lining up. 50% of the numbers line up exactly, the other 50% not. So thats a dead end to me trying to confirm the authenticity of the engine.
R50, R60/6, R90s

schrader7032

You're probably right, as the

Post by schrader7032 »

You're probably right, as the job was assigned to various people over all those years...most likely different people during the same period.

What I'd be interested in seeing is the change in stamps and lettering over the years. It's pretty clear that the late '50s and early '60s font is different than the late '60s. The VIN on my R25/2 is much bigger than I've seen so far. Another variation on a theme.

That's why putting together pictures representing each period might be pretty cool to see.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.