If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Rubber for rack and seat mounting

tcblf

Rubber for rack and seat mounting

Post by tcblf »

I have acquired a rear parcel rack and also a pillion seat that mounts to the rack. The rack nor the seat came with any rubber to place between the fender and the rack nor rubber for between the rack and the seat. My question is what type of rubber or would any type of rubber do?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming..."Wow--what a ride!

schrader7032

When I got a rack from Vech,

Post by schrader7032 »

When I got a rack from Vech, it came with more of a thin gasket material, not cork or flet, probably some kind of rubber. I suppose most anything of a thin variety would work, provided it won't break down due to weather. Since you're going to be clamping them together, there shouldn't be any rubbing or relative movement.

Maybe check with Vech?? Either buy from him or see what he might suggest.

A suggestion when mounting the rack to the fender. The holes didn't all line up, so I took a rattailed file to the rack to oversize the holes as needed. I figured I'd rather sacrifice the rack than to damage to the fender.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Bruce Frey

That is what old pneumatic

Post by Bruce Frey »

That is what old pneumatic tubes are for!

Bruce

tcblf

Perfect. Thanks for the

Post by tcblf »

Perfect. Thanks for the input.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming..."Wow--what a ride!

Darryl.Richman

I've heard it suggested...

Post by Darryl.Richman »

That you can cut up the plastic from a milk jug for these kinds of uses, but I've never done it myself.
--Darryl Richman

Bruce Frey

I've never tried the

Post by Bruce Frey »

I've never tried the poly-whatever-it-is milk jug plastic as a separator, but it works great for protecting your rim from tire tool marks when removing tires.

Bruce