If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

chain tensioner?????

515PHOTO

chain tensioner?????

Post by 515PHOTO »

Finally made progress into my R27 case. Got the front cover off and noticed there was NO chain tensioner. Not remnents of one or antthing. This can't be right can it? The chain had lots of slack and it appeared to have been contacting the case on either side of the cam sprocket there the bolt buldges are. Am I looking at a previous owner mistake?
Background--engine has never ran in my possesion--piston rusted in place when I got it.
82 R100RT, 64 R60/2, 2018 R1200RT
61 R27 and boy do I need parts-- got any?
Oh no, wifes coming home- get the engine out of the oven!
"Are those bearings in the freezer?!" she calmly inquired

schrader7032

Never been inside one of

Post by schrader7032 »

Never been inside one of these, but RealOEM shows a chain tensioner:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=11&fg=30

Wild that yours doesn't have one...wow!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

schrader7032

I saw this photo posted on

Post by schrader7032 »

I saw this photo posted on the Yahoo Mono site...I imagine this is what your tensioner should look like. This is for a R25/3:

Kurt in S.A.

515PHOTO

mine just has the 5 bolts

Post by 515PHOTO »

mine just has the 5 bolts holding the bearing carrier down--not even any markings around the bolts like something was there once but removed. BUT, there is, IMHO, no way it could run without it--the chain will and had contacted the case--Both my shop manual and partds book show a tansioner--HOWEVER-in the 'remove cam and chain' section it has in a mediocre translation something like : "there has recently been fitted a chain tensioner as a repair in the R27"
As mine is a 61, early in the R27 run, could it predate this important gizmo or am I looking at a poorly done previous rebuild. Thet R25 photo sure looks like a 'update repair' based on the shiny, allen head bolts--not 1950s oem. maybe I need to add that.

schrader7032

I wish I could help. I

Post by schrader7032 »

I wish I could help. I haven't been inside my R25/2 yet, but will in a year or so. Vech could provide some background to answer your question about early bikes not having a tensioner but having it added later in production.

A couple of other places to get answers would be the Yahoo Mono forum. Richard Sheckler is a member who knows these bikes very well. The other place that I've been getting a lot of help is a German forum...they have an English-speaking area in which I've posted a number of times. I just wish I knew German better! But they've been very helpful so far. The website is:

http://www.bmw-einzylinder.de/index2.php

For some reason, they've been up-and-down the past few days...maybe going through some forum changes.

If you're in the US, give Vech a call.

Kurt in S.A.

jamesmoc

Photos

Post by jamesmoc »

Hi,

I've just replaced the chain on my r27. Here is a photo
[img=640x480]http://web.me.com/jamesmoc/iWeb/BMWR27/ ... G_2040.jpg[/img]

some other photos can be found here, before and afters showing the original chain that I re-installed and then replaced, also I show the difference in length between the old and new chain. The tensioner in the photos with the new chain is also brand new. The old tensioner was a bit chipped so seeing as I had gone this far I decided to replace the lot!

Hope this helps.
James

515PHOTO

so, yours is a 62 and had a

Post by 515PHOTO »

so, yours is a 62 and had a tensioner in it when you went into it--I keep coming back to a previous owner reassembeling the darn thing and failed to put one in. better get one in there!
As what I am going through is something you just went through and is fresh in your mind--my next issue. now I can't get the cam out. Heated up the case and around the bearing areas-pulled on cam: nothing. Tried lifting it up with screwdriver encouragement: nothing. hooked 12 inch pry bar behing sprocket and applied pressure: nothing. pry bars on 2 sides of sprocket: nothing. hit pry bars with hammer: nothing. not even raising it 1/2 a mm.
Oh, yes, I removed the screws! Now much effort did it take to pull the cam out. As I understand it there is not a "puller' for the R27 cam as there is for earlier mono's or am I wrong.
Thanks.
Larry

jamesmoc

Hi Larry, I would not be so

Post by jamesmoc »

Hi Larry,

I would not be so sure that mine originally has the tensioner. It could have been added at any stage during the early life of the bike. As far as I know it was with the dutch army for the first years of it's life.

Regarding the camshaft, mine actually came out very easily. Again I used the Cycleworks I-tool having heated the case so I'm afraid that I cannot offer too much advice here. I'll take some snaps of the tool and how it was used and send later.

J