If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Hi All

schrader7032

Why not check with Hucky's

Post by schrader7032 »

Why not check with Hucky's BMW there in Florida? I've heard a lot about him...generally he's a good friend for Airheads. Other than that, I'd look at Bob's BMW, re-psycle, Capital Cycle. I'd also consider BMW as well...most good places would mail you what you needed. Max BMW would be good. Chicago BMW will give you a discount, but they tend to not be very speedy about things. But really, how much can gaskets really cost?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

SOFLABEEMER

Thanks again! Hucky's has

Post by SOFLABEEMER »

Thanks again! Hucky's has sets online! Prices aren't too painful either.

SOFLABEEMER

This just gets worse and

Post by SOFLABEEMER »

This just gets worse and worse. I didn't get down to Long's. Too many life things to take care of today. But I did get a chance to disassemble the transmission... someone took a grinder to the lip around the output hole and cut about 1/4 of it off... nix one face plate (rear plate if you will). It took me an hour and a half to get a bearing that was seated in the face plate out. Challenging but frustrating. Now I have tonot only buy bearings, shims and gaskets but also a face plate... I found another transmission I think will work on eBay for $275.00. Claims it is in working condition... probably going to buy it... thoughts? It is from a 76 R90 so they say. Trying to get a serial number to cross check before I buy it. This would be a great solve to theis transmission problem.
Attachments
r90_trans.jpg
r90_trans.jpg (32.45 KiB) Viewed 2083 times

schrader7032

A '76 model transmission

Post by schrader7032 »

A '76 model transmission should be plug-n-play. Might be a good chance on the fleaby tranny...at least give you some options.

Kurt in S.A.

SOFLABEEMER

I bought the transmission.

Post by SOFLABEEMER »

I bought the transmission. Wish me luck! lol

Not sure what to do next... so many things to do!

SOFLABEEMER

Carbs

Post by SOFLABEEMER »

Ok, next item! I want to put original BING carbs on the bike. It came with some really fancy japanese Keihin ones that frankly confuse the hell out of me. The question is what are the right BING carbs for my R60/6. Will Bing 32MM carbs from 1978 BMW R80/7 work?

SFB

schrader7032

According to the Bing manual,

Post by schrader7032 »

According to the Bing manual, the R60/6 came with slide carbs 1/26/123 and -124. Those are 26mm throats. The CV carbs for the R80/7 (likely 64/32/321 and -322) are as you say 32mm. There might be initial fitment problems just getting the carb to make with the intake stub. If that works, you might have to do some serious changing of jets and settings to make them work. Then there's the choke and throttle connections...might be a mismatch therer.

I have no experience with this sort of thing. I'd suggest checking with Bing and see if this is doable.

But, if you can get them to mate up, it wouldn't hurt things terrible to try and ride. You'd know pretty quickly if the bike has any power...you can also check the plugs to see if they're too rich or too lean.

Seems like an iffy project to me.

Kurt in S.A.

SOFLABEEMER

Kurt, once again I am

Post by SOFLABEEMER »

Kurt, once again I am indebted to you! Now to find 26 mm bings... used that is. lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-R60- ... 33627350c3

wow that didn't take long...

SOFLABEEMER

Update! THe replacement

Post by SOFLABEEMER »

Update! THe replacement transmission arrived and seems to be in great condition. It's mounted and the bike is almost completely reassembled. Just a few more bits need to go on and the wiring harness needs to be hooked back up to everything (daunting task). Once that is done I am going to call AFI and see if they can come pick it up and get the engine running. All in all things are going much quicker than I planned. Oh, and I am buying the afore mentioned bing carbs this week so it seems we have a complete classic BMW on our hands... just missing a few key parts and we will be all set. Well, a few is an under exaggeration... my current spreadsheet for parts is mostly filled with gaskets and replacement hardware but there are a few high ticket items I want to replace. Things like original style head pipes, mufflers, battery covers, cylinder guards and perhaps an after market single seat and rear seat fairing... I'm not sure about that yet.

Anyway thanks again to you Kurt for all your sage advice.

Cheers!

SFB

schrader7032

Here's to a great first ride!

Post by schrader7032 »

Here's to a great first ride! =D>

Kurt in S.A.