If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Saddle bags 2 questions on a /5

schrader7032

There was a discussion on

Post by schrader7032 »

There was a discussion on leather panniers on the pre-war forum:

http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/node/5703

Not sure if they're the same style, etc.

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

doublejj

there like the "Butler and Smith" Painiers

Post by doublejj »

"Butler and Smith" is very close to what they are. Been looking along time but haven't had any luck.

There is a pic on a r50/5 with em on e-bay but it ended. Might be able to still view it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 3AIT#v4-36

anybody else had any luck? I don't really want to buy another bike just for the saddlebags.

I did read that bit about Panniers with great interest awhile back.
Jim Sova````Mid east Iowa, USA
My Rides: Present: 1971 R50/5 (30+years) + 2007 k1200LT (2+ years). 2011 Ural "Gear up 2WD" Past: 3 honda's, 3 Bmw's, and a Ural retro side-car.
[quote]Knowledge is funny, The more I learn, the more that I learn that I don't know[/quote].

schrader7032

Page 6 of this brochure (PDF

Post by schrader7032 »

Page 6 of this brochure (PDF page 8); is this what you're looking for?

http://www.beemergarage.com/documents/assc71.pdf

I'm not that plugged into the saddlebag world. You might have to find an upholsterer and have them make a copy of what you have. I know a guy who was does pretty amazing work, but it would take someone with special skills and equipment.
Kurt in S.A.

doublejj

Saddle bags 2 questions on a /5

Post by doublejj »

The old leather bags on these 70's bikes (/5's) had a chrome strip around em, and the flap had one locking buckle clasp in the center.

What were they called (a denfield copy, they had no name on em)? Can a person find em any more, copys /repos ect?

...Mine literally fell apart, and I didn't take care of em like I should of. I took em to a old saddle repair shop (best one in town), and they told me they were "toast, worn out, to much dry rot" ext....ext.... I tossed em out many moons ago...

Thanks in advance
My Rides: Present: 1971 R50/5 (30+years) + 2007 k1200LT (2+ years). 2011 Ural "Gear up 2WD" Past: 3 honda's, 3 Bmw's, and a Ural retro side-car.
[quote]Knowledge is funny, The more I learn, the more that I learn that I don't know[/quote].

doublejj

Yes that is the one. They are

Post by doublejj »

Yes that is the one. They are confirmed "Butler and Smith". The problem about coping is, I threw them out many, many, many moons ago.

(Like in the late 80's, I happen to be married at the time, made alot of mistakes back then, should of threw her out and kept the bags) when I thought, or was convinced they were junk.....:(

schrader7032

Well, at least you know the

Post by schrader7032 »

Well, at least you know the manufacturer and the name they used for them. You can try some extensive googling. Or maybe you can find the next best thing...

Or you can try putting your request out in different places. Here's a /5 forum...not sure how active it is:

http://www.slash5.org/

There's also the /5 website:

http://www.5united.net/

Kurt in S.A.

doublejj

Re /5 forum

Post by doublejj »

Thank Kurt for the suggestions

Yes, it is pretty much inactive. I added a few post and improved the library links by two, though. The /5 website is just a mail list join link thing. I have been on it, (/5 list) for a while since I own one, and wanted to get into history. Although I haven't thought to asked on there yet.

I've been on the hunt for a while but haven't been over ancy yet, as I was really busy at the time. Have a few days to recoup and catch my breath before things ramp up again.