If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Breather pipe R/R

mcdonnell7511

The R69S does have the pin

Post by mcdonnell7511 »

The R69S does have the pin holes on both ends. I use a finished 4d nail squared off at the shaft end to punch the pin as far as it would go then pulled it out by fingers.
It will be another issue drilling the new pipe to match up all 4 holes to use the original pin. I prefer to use the OEM pin, as opposed to a thread locker which could be a good alternative if needed.

Darryl.Richman

Cut the pipe off

Post by Darryl.Richman »

and the pin removed by pushing it forward with a needlenose pliers or some equivalent.I'm not seeing this. When I was last looking, I didn't see how I could get anything up that small hole and still be able to grab the exposed part of the pin. Seems like by the time I get the needle nose pliers up there, the taper of the pliers would have closed the jaws of the pliers so that I couldn't grasp the pin. Let alone, being able to squeeze hard enough to move the pin at all.

You'd only be able to get at the pin once you cut off nearly all of the pipe, right up to where it goes into the crankcase. There's no way you'd be able to get at it with the entire pipe still in place.
--Darryl Richman

schrader7032

Pipe is missing

Post by schrader7032 »

You'd only be able to get at the pin once you cut off nearly all of the pipe, right up to where it goes into the crankcase. There's no way you'd be able to get at it with the entire pipe still in place.

Darryl -

My R25/2 has no pipe currently installed...came that way to me. But I still don't see how I can get a needle nose pliers up that small hole before it closed itself down. I will recheck, though.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

schrader7032

OK, I sit corrected! I

Post by schrader7032 »

OK, I sit corrected! I checked the R25/2...turns out that you can get to the backside where the pin would go through. All this time, I thought my pin was still in place. Turns out only the head remains in the small hole on the front side...there's nothing protruding through on the inside. If it were, I could actually reach in with the pliers to work with it...it's not that far up as I had remembered.

The R69S is the same way, although the pipe is installed. But, the pit fits into a cylinder that is somewhat separated from the engine case, so you can actually get behind it.

I may just go the interference fit with loctite on my R25/2...that would be easier rather than to try and line ream everything to get a pit to fit.
Kurt in S.A.

mcdonnell7511

Kurt, I

Post by mcdonnell7511 »

Kurt,
I refinished the original pipe and pin then installed the pipe with a small amount of Permatex Form A Gasket Sealant just under the pipe holes. It's OEM once again!
Jack

schrader7032

Jack - The more I think about

Post by schrader7032 »

Jack -

The more I think about it, I'll probably do something similar. I like Darryl's suggestion about loctite.

However, on my R25/2, I'm still in a "discovery" mode. Actually, I ran out of gas today...I've now learned a few things, but that's another story! I'm going to ride this bike for another year or so, maybe a 1000 miles and then completely go through the engine. I want to get to the slingers. When I'm doing that, I'll install the breather pipe then. Doesn't seem to be too much of a problem now without it.

Kurt in S.A.