If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Help out a new guy?

atxtj

Help out a new guy?

Post by atxtj »

Well, I've finally decided that it's time to get my first motorcycle, and have always loved the old BMW's, preferably early to mid 70's. I'm a competent mechanic, so I'm not really concerned with working on them (once I figure everything out!), but I'd like some input from more experienced folks on what would make a good first bike. i.e., easier to handle, more forgiving, parts availability, ease of maintenance and such. I've built cars for years, but feel like I'm starting over again, and could use some advise! Thanks!!

schrader7032

There have been a few threads

Post by schrader7032 »

There have been a few threads recently asking about the R90/6 and R100/7 in particular. You might read through those for background.

I'm certainly biased to my '78 R100/7. The '77 model would have been the highest performer of this period before they started to put the EPA stuff on the bikes and tame them down somewhat. But the difference is really that not much. The '76 R90/6 would be a great all around bike and could probably be found for under $3K.

Parts are not a real issue as there are numerous places that support the bikes mechanically and electrically. A BMW dealer does a very good job of this, although parts might not be on the shelf all the time. There are also salvage yards and other used part places that can soften the blow somewhat.

Things to consider:

- '70-73 were short wheel base bikes and can have stability problems if the bike is not dailed in correctly. It's not that bike of a deal, though. These bikes were more "flickable" and nimble due to the shorter wheelbase.
- bikes models through 1980 will have the heavy flywheel and will be points and/or the "bean can"...points in a can.
- the '81-'84 models went to a clutch carrier which is a lighter flywheel setup...supposedly makes for quicker revving engines but I would think that they might be buzzier without the mass of the flywheel. One downside is that these models also have or could have more pronounced valve problems due to poor valve seat material. The only cure is a top end job...but all Airheads need this sooner or later...it's just that these models needed it sooner.
- '85-on (R80 models) and '87-on (R100 models) went single shocks and the mono lever. There are paralevers in there too once you get into the 90s. There were some single sided swingarms in the case of the R80ST in the early '80s also.
-'81-on bikes all went electronic ignition.

That's a rough cut at the various eras of the bikes. Pros and cons depending on how you look at it. But a mid '70s R90/6 or even an R75/6 would be a fine bike to have, if that's your thinking at this point.

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

AKHANZ

There is a checklist on what to look for..out there.

Post by AKHANZ »

My suggestion would be to have that checklist in hand. It is located on and can be found on a search of the BMWMOA.org site.
You might find one on ... google. "Airhead Checklist"

Try this.. www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46532

Good luck... they are really great bikes when all is right and simply in place.

Let us know what you end up with..

Jim Dahl, Ketchikan, Alaska

I have one of these
Attachments
Gertie_61910_Small.jpg
Gertie_61910_Small.jpg (45.63 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
Hanz - 1960/R50
Gertie - 1977 R75/7
RFAR1 - R1100S