If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

New to me R26

MHSILVERW

New to me R26

Post by MHSILVERW »

Hi,

I have aquired, in the UK, a 1957 R26. Having had a few BMW's in the past, including a 1960 R60 I missed the old style bike. Redundancy meant a 'down-sizing' a while back, but fortunately have found work again.

Unfortunately the larger flat-twins are too far away price-wise, but I came across the single when looking for an 'older bike'.

I had always liked the idea of the single, after seeing one every day on my 'paper-round' when I was in junior school....so they left an impression. Would have loved the rubber mounted R27, but they seem rarer (in the uk) than a very rare thing....and I don't believe I will "race" this...so hopefully we will get along fine on some minor country roads taking in the scenery and appreciating a 'way of riding' thats been replaced by "race-replica's" (seems to be the prevalent style in the uk) - not that I mind these, but maybe over time 'motorcycling' has lost some style and a different 'approach', that's a pity, I think.

The bike is a uk registered '57 model, restored by a 'respected' engineer (I am trying to track doen more details on what's been done). The white-lining isn't quite correct, and it has delortto of some description (apparantly with a spare BING in a box that accompanies the bike - not sure yet why the Delorrto fitted and not the BING) - so not concours but for me it suits my desire to get back on an older beemer and reaquaint myself with the earles forks and saddle.

Not sure if the pics will show up, below, but here goes...

Mark

808Airhead

Congratulations! That is a

Post by 808Airhead »

Congratulations! That is a beautiful bike,I would be proud to own that. I understand what you mean about "old ways of motorcycling" being lost. It seems people were more in tune with their machines and nowadays you have a lot of people buying a bike expressly to go fast (and almost kill themselves/impress their friends/girls) or for some to have a weekend "outlaw biker" fantasy......I have a feeling many could not change a spark plug if their life depended on it!
Not everybody has to be a mechanic,but I honestly think modern bikes are almost a fashion accessory.
Wanted to add; the carb was probably replaced and *probably* runs really well with that carb if it is set up correctly.If it is a rider I would leave it unless your other (original) carb is good and you can dial it in.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

MHSILVERW

Wrong silencer?

Post by MHSILVERW »

Hi,

I posted a shot of this in the BMW Eilnzylinder forum and someone suggests the silencer is wrong and off a R69. Can anyone comment who has a R69 or that type. Was sort of expecting to see a 'space' for the stand, maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can comment. Maybe this is why it has the Delortto.

Looking fwd to getting out and about on the bike.

Mark

schrader7032

Here are some pages for the

Post by schrader7032 »

Here are some pages for the R26 from Phil Hawksley's site:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/specpages/R26.htm

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photopages/photosr26.htm

Maybe you can get an idea from these.

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

c.d.iesel

welcome to Club Thumper

Post by c.d.iesel »

welcome to Club Thumper !
great looking machine
you might find this site very informative

http://www.beemergarage.com/documents/bmwr261957.pdf

heres mine with original paint for comparision

............ and on your rear muffler/silencer - your muffler is a bit off,
there is a notch on the bottom side of the muffler - near the clamped joint
for center stand clearence when folded up. And on my muffler, there is a
welded on bracket aligning the rubber vibration mount/bushing - very important for
front header pipe reliability. You may in fact have a TWIN muffler on yours.
The correct R26/27 mufflers are very available. my first replacement
showed signs of heat blockage with the internal baffle - you can see the browning
at mid-length of my muffler. I punch a 8mm hole in the center of the baffle
with a l o n g pointed punch(self made). The sharp bark is pleasent when
it's " on the pipe " . Your pin stripes are also ' heavy ' common painters error,
and a tighter circle at the front of the tank. Perfectly alright. Doesn't detract
any from the joy of riding a well tuned single.

have fun & CHEERS
Creighton
P.S. - I use 'your' brit produced MORRIS Elite 40 in the motor summer,
and Elite 30 when the temps drop to chilly, less than 60*F

MORRIS Elite 50 in the gear box, Summer, Elite 40 if riding in really cold conditions

P.S.S.
your tail light is wrong - should be a smaller unit - see the attached 1957
brochure link above. You have the larger R27 ' coffee can ' - still no problem
VBMWMO#5514- '64 R27 15K #383851 - '86 R65 22K #6128390 - Retired m/c road racer (1971-2000) - Former M-Benz Star Tech 19 years, BMW auto master tech, BMW bike cert tech 27 years. Now retired to Hillsboro, NH.

MHSILVERW

Hi, Thanks for the info and

Post by MHSILVERW »

Hi,

Thanks for the info and links.

I can see that the silencer looks different - maybe your right the one on the R26 could be off a twin.

Where it joins with the exhaust pipe seems to differ too, yours joins behind the riders foot-rest and mine in front, so maybe the front pipe is off something else too.

Comparing the shot of your R27 and mine (although it could be the effects of the angle of the photo) the exhaust pipe itself looks to be a little nearer the frame and possible a little fatter.

Maybe the guy who restored this only had these bits available when it was done.

I can't make out the centre stand 'tang' on the silencer side on mine, it's hard to see it from these photo's - but on the other shot the stand seems (in the up position) to be sitting higher than yours too.

Maybe the Delortto was found to work with this pipe/silencer!

The 'plate' on the 'battery/tool box', on mine, seems to be non-std without the ribs, I wonder if this was home made.

Your oil sump also seems deeper!

I note your comments on the rear light - some later R26's I think may have had the 'coffee-can' style from looking on one of your links - again maybe it's what was available at the time.

Hopefully, none of this (even the white lining) will detract from a ride on the bike....time will tell.

I am trying to track-down the guy who restored this for some more info, so maybe one-day I will get some answers, maybe to determining what's been done internally and the slingers etc too.

May I ask possibly a strang question - the saddle spring seems to have a couple of positions, where should this be mounted for a heavier rider, any tips?

Your thoughts on oils are appreciated too.

Mark

c.d.iesel

my 'deep' oil pan came from

Post by c.d.iesel »

my 'deep' oil pan came from S.Meyer in Germany
http://www.meyer-bikes.com/home.php

your center stand may be missing a rubber stopper
on the bottom frame tube - which also keeps
it from hitting the bottom of the muffler

other interesting links you might like :

VBMWMO#5514- '64 R27 15K #383851 - '86 R65 22K #6128390 - Retired m/c road racer (1971-2000) - Former M-Benz Star Tech 19 years, BMW auto master tech, BMW bike cert tech 27 years. Now retired to Hillsboro, NH.