If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R100s 1977 paint codes for smoke red fade

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Something like this?

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photos/paintphotos/R100S.JPG

The site list it as Smoke Red but no codes.

This site says Red Smoke Metallic as indicated on a BMW brochure of the time:

http://www.omnilex.com/public/bmw78/78p2.jpg

I can't seem to find the codes...Holt BMW in Athens, Ohio, would know. He's the premier painter when it comes to BMWs.

From the Airheads list, I found the following post:

"the 1977 and 1978 "smoke red" was kit number 531 "Rot"."

...and the following:

"1978 Smoked Red (as standard on the R100S "special" ...dealer option on others?):

Under seat code: 508 (metallic red w/ smoke effect and gold stripes)
Colors: Metallic Red - 031; Smoke Effect (sort of a candy purple that looks reddish-maroon when applied over the red) - 089"

Sorry...probably not much help...

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

joezeppie

smoke red fade

Post by joezeppie »

yes that is exactly what im looking for kurt, i did see that site and i did talk to holt who gave me 031 and 089 i just imagined the 089 would be a black base. It may be jut that thanks for your post, Joe

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Hi folks, I rebuilt a 77 r100s last year after sitting for ten years and the one thing that didnt need done was the paint job which had a perfect red metallic, that is before i hit the deer. Well i just about have it back togeather and was going with the same color untill i seen the red smoke two tone with the black fade and fell in love with it. Problem is i cant find the paint codes. i believe the red to be 031(red metallic) and was told the black was 089 which turned out to be a blue under the glasurit codes. Any help would be greatly appriecated
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.

mymindsok

I think youre looking under

Post by mymindsok »

I think youre looking under the wrong name/paint ID...

There were two different paint jobs that are commonly called "Red Smoke".

One is a metallic red with black smoking. Thats usually referred to as "Black Smoke".

The other paint job is the same metallic red with candy blue smoking and that one is referred to as "Lava Red".

Lava Red was a one year paint scheme that appeared on the 1982 R-100RS. The factory had some real problems with these bikes and many of them were repainted after they arrives in the US. In fact, my Lava Red RS is one of those bikes!

I love the LR and my bike is constantly getting complements from both Airheads and non-bikers alike.

Mymindsok
Mymindsok

Airhead #85