If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60 US engine rattle

Bruce Frey

R60 US engine rattle

Post by Bruce Frey »

Carburetor slides rattling in the bores?

Bruce

schrader7032

R60 US engine rattle

Post by schrader7032 »

What's the state of the slingers? Seems to me that the bottom end might be getting out of tolerance, possibly due to the slingers being full and getting dirtier oil run through the rod bearings. Might be time to pull the top end and do some checks of the play in the rod lower bearings.

Kurt in S.A
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Allan.Atherton

R60 US engine rattle

Post by Allan.Atherton »

A rattle only under throttle? Shine a timing light in the hole, raise the rpms and check that the F mark comes into the window and goes no further.

hankster110

Timing, etc

Post by hankster110 »

Timing maxes out where it should. Noise is even there with timing retarded. If I were to guess, I'd suspect the front main bearing or con rods. Funny thing is, it SEEMED to appear after I repaired a loose plug wire connection. Or maybe that's when I first noticed it.

I've checked points and timing, valve clearances, head torque, changed plugs (since the noise started). Oil levels are all correct. Problem seems to be at it's worst when cylinder pressures (BMEP) are highest, meaning lower revs and greater throttle openings. I'm getting a bad feeling about this......but don't want to tear it down if this is normal.

Is there a /2 guru on the Colorado Front Range who can listen to this? Denver, Ft. Collins, Loveland, Colorado Springs?
Hankster110 - R60 US owner, and General Know-it all for over 50 years

schrader7032

R60 US engine rattle

Post by schrader7032 »

I wonder if you might have some issues with the pistons rocking or loose wrist pins. You suggest that the problem is high pressures at low revs. Could be piston is rockingg in the bore and/or piston slap.

I don't know of anyone in the area you mention. I would get in touch with Matt Parkhouse in C-Springs. He used to work at the dealer there but has "retired" and is working out of his house. He might have some contacts for you.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Samuel

I am still green but,

Post by Samuel »

I would check the cheap stuff first,

Have you made absolutely sure that the top engine mount, the one "hidden" under the gas tank is snug on the frame, I was reading on Ausherman's sight : http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/noise/index.htm and had a loose one on my R50.

all the best, and let us know how it pans out

Samuel

VBMWMO

R60 US engine rattle

Post by VBMWMO »

My recently purchased R60 seems to have an engine rattle that comes and goes............40K miles, very well taken care of by previous one owner.

The rattle can be felt in the crankcase........or it may be my imagination.
Engine starts and idles just fine. Revving in neutral produces no unusual noises. When pulling away in first, there seems to be no noise until the engine develops a few revs, then gradually it produces a slight rattle that gets louder and is almost entirely throttle related. If I back off the throttle and let the revs stay, the noise seems to get much less. Also when higher revs are reached, the noise seems less pronounced. This all happens hot or cold..........

This sound can be missed with a helmet on, but if I lean over when accelerating in first, with a slight drag on the brake, I can certainly hear it.......

Anyone with a diagnosis? I'm sure it won't go away, but these bikes are new to me and I'm wondering if this is just "normal"?
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.