If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R90S - First ride

schrader7032

Re: R90S - First ride

Post by schrader7032 »

So far my only complaints are that the clutch is "grabbier" than I would like and the reach for the clutch and front brake are a bit far for my smallish hands, but I think some adjustments will help.

Bruce -

That might be due too a few things:

- the surface of the fiber disk just needs to be "rebedded" or made to fit again...just a thought.

- ensure that the adjustment on the lever is proper. It might be engaging too soon or too late. One of the things to check is that the lever at the back of the tranny should be parallel with the tranny case when you're at about 50% of the hand lever travel. With the hand lever completely let out, the lever at the back of the tranny should be a little past 90 degrees and almost touching the cross-member of the swingarm/frame.

- the input splines to the tranny might need to be cleaned and lubed. If the bike sat up unused for a while, some surface rust may have developed on the splines and now, mixed with grease, they clutch pack doesn't slide like its supposed to. This usually results in uncertain engagement. There's quick ways of lubing the splines but it might be best to remove the transmission for a thorough cleaning.

- could be the throwout bearing just inside of the rear of the tranny needs some attention or needs replacing.

If I can be of any help, let me know.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

VBMWMO

R90S - First ride

Post by VBMWMO »

Last August, I purchased a 1975, original, DO R90S, sight unseen, but with many pictures a good conversation with the seller. My neighbor in Houston put it in my garage when Haulbikes/Daily Direct (I recommend them) dropped it off and it has been languishing there since late August.

Last week, I arrived back in Houston from Milan for one of my semi-annual maintenance and resupply trips and finally had a chance to play with it! It started right up, even with out having the battery charged. A quick trip around the block was all I could do at the time because of company and some remodeling issues.

Today, I got it inspected and registered and put on almost 60 miles of around town and highway driving. You have to remember that my ONLY other bikes are pre-war, so this is quite a change.

I spent a few minutes in an empty parking lot doing low speed drills to get the feel of it. It is a lot different than my R12 and R6 combination, but I love the power and brakes. Some of the highway miles involved grooved pavement and I am pleased to say that it has very good road manners. I need to upgrade my riding skills to match the bike.

The bike was as described, complete with the books, spares, battery charger, etc. that the PO promised. So far, I am very happy! It is a great bike!

So far my only complaints are that the clutch is "grabbier" than I would like and the reach for the clutch and front brake are a bit far for my smallish hands, but I think some adjustments will help.

ciao,

Bruce
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.