If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

bar backs

schrader7032

bar backs

Post by schrader7032 »

Chris -

I have bar backs (don't know the dimensions...didn't realize they came in different sizes) on my '78 R100/7...the bike also has a Luftmeister fairing and high (US) bars. I have no problems with the bar backs. I can't remember if I had to change the cables out...I don't remember doing that. I did initially reroute the cables to ensure no sharp turns especially around the upper triple tree.

However, after a number of years, I realized that the throttle cables were making too sharp of a bend where they went into the adjusters at the top of the carbs. The metal spiral inside the cable was beginning to show. I bought new cables for a '86 R80RT. They were the longest I could find that would work with the dual-cable system. They work just fine and there is no sharp bend into the carbs. The throttle cables were 1158mm long, part number 32 73 1 454 584.

So, the bar backs should be no problem, but you might need to change some cables out.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

VBMWMO

bar backs

Post by VBMWMO »

Hi all,

Just bought a 78 r100s and she's extemely clean, 28k, all original. I have a chance to buy some 2.4 inch bar backs and was wondering if these will work on this bike. :( Are there going to be clearance problems or other issues?

Thx,
Chris
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.