If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

oil leak from front engine cover

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome...

First off, did you remove the ground to the battery? It's important to ensure there is no ground path from the negative terminal on the battery to chassis ground. There is a real possibility that in removing the cover, you can short the diode board to ground. The diode board sits up high in the front cavity. This is one of the cardinal rules you learn when you own an Airhead!

Second off, what year R80RT? Probably doesn't matter too much, but it's good to know.

Are you familiar with some of the on-line fiches to look up parts, etc? Here's one:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?vin=&kind=M&arch=0

After selecting a 1983 R80RT for Europe, then select engine electrics.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=12&fg=05

On this figure, there's an o-ring behind the ignition canister. Most likely this is what needs to be replaced. I have notes for doing this on the pre '80 models, before they came out with this module...I have a /7...the /7 has an official shaft seal. But it would appear that with careful notes and taking pictures etc., you might be able to remove the module and replace the o-ring...put some silicone grease on the o-ring prior to installation. Check this fiche site using your actual model...type in your VIN and it will pull everything up for you. The post '84 models may have a different sized o-ring.

That's my guess. You might clean things up the best you can, put a hint of talc powder in the area, and go for another ride. The powder should let you know where the oil is coming from.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

rideblue

Post by rideblue »

Hello Kurt,many thanks for taking the time to help. Luckily the battery was not connected to the bike when I removed the engine cover. I see what you mean though as it's a tight fit getting the cover past the horn bracket without touching the diode board. Great link to the site with the exploded diagrams,thank you. I'm just hoping the leak is from the seal behind the ignition sensor and not from the shaft seal which is further " in " and looks a bit more involved. I will take a look after work later and see if I can reach any conclusion,will let you know as I progress. Once again thank you,John.

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Hello to all and thank you for allowing me onto this superb forum. I have just become the proud owner of a R80RT. After the first ride consisting of 150 miles I left the bike on its centre stand overnight. The next morning I discovered a small pool of engine oil on the floor below the bike just forward of the sump. The amount was only small,about 2 or 3 tablespoons,I removed the front engine cover and found another small pool gathered inside the base of the engine cover. I have tried to locate the source of the leak but without much success, as far as I can tell the oil seems to be leaking from low down as there seems to be none effecting the upper area. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,thanks again.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.