If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60/2 mufflers

schrader7032

R60/2 mufflers

Post by schrader7032 »

Sorry, I can't help much with personal information on what sounds the best. But I saved information on other sources that I noted when there was some discussion on other boards. They were also quality sources like the others you mentioned. Mark Huggett in Switzerland and S. Meyer in Germany. Contact information can be found here:

http://www.vintagebmw.org/version6/?q=node/76

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

wicks

R60/2 mufflers

Post by wicks »

I bought my mufflers from S. Meyer in D, but I wanted the throatier horn type Hoeske pipes with removeable silencers, and got the standard headers/cross from Vech. He said they might need a little push to mount to the clamp, but they were perfect. Nice thick metal and good chrome too.
Wicks
1962 R69S, 2006 M5, 2000 Aprilia RSV Mille R, 1997 Defender 90, 2007 Benelli M4 ;)

Allan.Atherton

Re: R60/2 mufflers

Post by Allan.Atherton »

... I am interested in correct sound level and original looks, ...Vech has a pair for $460.00 and Blue Moon sets sell for $339.00. All are chrome with seams. $120.00 is the price difference. Any insight on other differences? I will also be purchasing headers and a cross-over...
Blue Moon's might be Asian-made. Huggett and Vech sell Mobile Tradition which are made to original specs. I don't know if there are any differences. If you are ordering a complete exhaust system, compare prices from Blue Moon and Vech in the US, and Huggett and Stemler abroad. Personally, I would prefer the assurance of Mobile Tradition, and the savings in ordering abroad on a complete system are considerable.

redavide

R60/2 mufflers

Post by redavide »

Keep in mind that at Huggett you'll be paying in Swiss Francs and Meyer and Stemmler in Euros. Today, the weak dollar doesn't get much for your money in either of those currencies. Shipping will also be charged in those currencies and the shipping charges from Europe are steep to begin with. Many credit cards charge an extra fee for a transaction in a non-dollar currency (some as high as 3%). Additionally, you may have to pay import duties on the U.S. side. You might be better off buying in the U.S.

m3att

R60/2 mufflers

Post by m3att »

I got the whole works for my 69 R50 from Vech. Everything fits perfect, looks great, sounds great.

Allan.Atherton

R60/2 mufflers

Post by Allan.Atherton »

Keep in mind that at Huggett you'll be paying in Swiss Francs and Meyer and Stemmler in Euros. Today, the weak dollar doesn't get much for your money in either of those currencies. Shipping will also be charged in those currencies and the shipping charges from Europe are steep to begin with. Many credit cards charge an extra fee for a transaction in a non-dollar currency (some as high as 3%). Additionally, you may have to pay import duties on the U.S. side. You might be better off buying in the U.S.I did suggest that he compare prices. I assumed he would have to convert CHF or Euros to dollars and use the shipping estimator on Huggett's site. I have ordered some $10K in parts from Huggett over the years, and the lower prices always more than offset the shipping and exchange rate if the order was over a few hundred dollars. And none of the orders to me as an individual with a residential address ever had customs fees.

redavide

R60/2 mufflers

Post by redavide »

I have ordered some $10K in parts from Huggett over the years, and the lower prices always more than offset the shipping and exchange rate if the order was over a few hundred dollars.
I was trying to point out that if you've been buying things over the years from Europe, today is MUCH different than in the past -- the dollar is a weakling like it's never been.

For example, in 1999 an order costing 500 euros would have cost only $430 for the U.S. purchaser. The same 500 euro order today? $730!!!!! (I'm using the official exchange rates -- your bank will charge more).

In 2000, an 800 CHF (Swiss Francs) order would have cost $496. Today?
$725!! (Ditto about exchange rates).

As you can see, times aint' like they used to be . . .

Bruce Frey

R60/2 mufflers

Post by Bruce Frey »

Since virtually all Vintage BMW parts originate in Europe, we have our choice of buying parts directly from Europe or buying them from someone who imports them from Europe. You cannot escape the €/$.

Generally, it is cheaper to buy directly from Europe for larger orders, although when you need a part NOW in the USA, it is nice to have them locally and I am happy to pay the price.

I have vintage bikes on both sides of the pond. When I need parts from Huggett in Italy, it is cheaper (and usually easier) for me to have them sent to the USA and carry them back (or make the 3 hour drive to Holderbank). Switzerland is not part of the EU and to collect a package from Switzerland means a trip to the post office or customs to pay VAT and other fees. Shipping to USA is usually less than VAT and fees. It once took Italian Customs 2 months to process a package that was sent the equivalent of Express Mail from Switzerland (this was not from Huggett).

Getting parts from EU countries such as Germany or Poland is not a problem, but you do have to pay VAT (16-20%). Life in Europe is not cheap, especially with the current €/$.

Ciao,

Bruce

redavide

R60/2 mufflers

Post by redavide »

Bruce -- your point about the impossibility of escaping the exchange rate definitely makes sense.

But the cost increase to a U.S. retail buyer buying parts from Europe with dollars over the last eight years is somewhere between 60-70% if you only consider changes in the exchange rate.

Here's a question that I really don't have an answer for because I haven't been buying many parts in the U.S. -- Has the cost of vintage BMW parts for the retail U.S. buyer buying in the U.S. also risen 60-70% during the past 8 years?

Allan.Atherton

R60/2 mufflers

Post by Allan.Atherton »

... For example, in 1999 an order costing 500 euros would have cost only $430 for the U.S. purchaser. The same 500 euro order today? $730... In 2000, an 800 CHF (Swiss Francs) order would have cost $496. Today? $725... times aint' like they used to be . . .That is true. But it makes the point that one should buy Asian, not European. If you want to buy European, you can buy direct cheaper than if there is a US vendor in the middle.