If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Pictures from the Vasona Picnic

VBMWMO

Pictures from the Vasona Picnic

Post by VBMWMO »

Yesterday was the 24th edition of the Alex Silverio Memorial Picnic at Vasona Park in Los Gatos, CA. I meant to take some pictures, but instead must rely on the photos taken by Marc Hyman:

http://www.snafu.org/saturday/2007/vasona/

Also, over on the BMW MOA forum, are these photos and writeup. I'm not sure if you can see this if you're not an MOA member.

It was a lovely day, and we had a lot of nice bikes show up. The swap meet portion was pretty thin. OTOH, there were a pair of Norton riders from England on a 12 week US tour who happened to hear about the picnic and came down.

My excuse for not taking any photos was that I was busy cooking. We cooked up pork tenederloin cutlets, sausages and chicken breasts on the grill, garlic bread, salad, a pot of chili, potato salad and watermelon. Joel Hansen, the organizer, brought bags of oranges fresh of his tree in Marin county.

Unfortunately, my newly finished R51/3 failed me on the ride over. I was at the bottom of a long hill, just before the exit for the picnic, when one cylinder stopped running very suddenly. My immediate thoughts about what it might be were all very bad, and I managed to get to a friend's house, who lives closer than the picnic. His wife graciously dropped me off at the park.

After the picnic, I was relieved to find that the problem was extremely simple in nature. The /3 throttle has a small traveler piece inside that pulls the throttle cables. One side had broken and released the left throttle cable. Still, the bike had to go home in the truck...
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.