If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1939 R66 on Ebay

Darryl.Richman

1939 R66 on Ebay

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Is this R66 yours?
--Darryl Richman

EuroIron

1939 R66 on Ebay

Post by EuroIron »

yes

Darryl.Richman

1939 R66 on Ebay

Post by Darryl.Richman »

I like your sense of humor, with the cylinders and heads on the Harley bottom end. Isn't it tough to squeeze an intake manifold in there?

If I had some loose change jangling in my pocket I'd probably bid on it. You just don't see R66s coming down the road very often. But it sure looks like a lot of work for somebody.

What's that number on the steering head? Isn't there a number on the right top plunger mount?
--Darryl Richman

EuroIron

1939 R66 on Ebay

Post by EuroIron »

it's not any tighter than the plumbers junk on a stock flatty and the intake ports could use some raising anyhow which would make the angle of convergence more favorable for reverse engineering a tuned intake for it

I'll see if I can round up some intake and exhaust fabrication pix of things I've done........ this would be pretty easy and straight forward compared to some previous projects but there is another similar Kraut topend that will go even easier with respect to the valve train

I'd down draft this one although there is a certain Indian lower I think these would go on easier, I just don't have any laying around to easily try.

fwiw...... I have a normally aspirated 45 inch antiquated flathead that cruises over 80 and has topped 100 mph...... I built it's engine and not much inside it is stock or antique... I even ground my own cam lobes...... I'd really love to build a fast and reliable old beemer flatty

I have a couple 22 CID screw type superchargers from the Motherland...... think a pair of them would do an old boxer flatty just about right

btw, I got the club stuff in the mail yesterday, thank you. I just skimmed thru the Bulletin and found it enlightening.

On the sarcastic humor....... after being pitched to by several of the "would be wheels" in this small niche arena and reading some random opinions of those in icon status......

well I find it amusing that within 24 hours I already have serious offers of more than three times what some of those guys tentatively offered and surely wouldn't have paid once it came down to green changing hands for oxide

frankly, I've found most of them so arrogant and pious that I just politely dismiss them while they are still going on and on about being burning bushes and the whole time unloading their proverbial glock in their proverbial foot

I've really no idea why any of them would feel comfortable talking to me like I'm a dolt or mentally unsound

One of my recent favorites has been Abbott and Costello, Abbott was announced and Costello wasn't..... I didn't like that and Costello seemed like a Fed/LEO if you were to ask me....... anyhow, they spent longer eating lunch/discussing than they did looking at a very large lot of parts and then instead of making an offer like Abbott said he would..... Costello wants to try a different tack

Really it amazes me, when I tell somebody I'll come look and make an offer....... that's exactly what I do. It's all good though, I'm prepared to hang onto all this stuff while summer gas prices dry up disposable income of good working people, or even much longer.

Drop by if you are ever in the neighborhood, Daryl. You are welcome at my humble hole in the wall shop, anytime, and thanks again for getting that package out so quickly as well as your assistance with the forum here.......

Darryl.Richman

1939 R66 on Ebay

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Thanks for the kind offer! I don't know when I'll be back east again, I just drove my little pickup to Vech's rally in April (with my R52 in the back).

As experienced as you seem, you must have had these kinds of meetings before. Lots of people want to look, but not everyone has the cash handy. Heck, I'd love to look at your R66, too, but I've got 3 projects going on already and I bought a new bike this year, so I know the money and the time are just not there. And any smart buyer wants to find out how much the seller knows about what he has...

Anyway, good luck on your auction! With the prices on a restored prewar machine soaring, a nearly complete project bike has a lot of value, too.
--Darryl Richman

Darryl.Richman

1939 R66 on Ebay

Post by Darryl.Richman »

I was looking at your auction again and noticed the Q&A at the bottom. I don't think it says CZ-80 on the motor, but OZ-80. OZ is oktanzahl, or octane number. The war time vehicles were all stamped (or cast) with this so that the motor pool would know what to put in it. OZ-74 was the standard and you'll see that cast into the high compression heads on R12s, for example.

If the bike was pressed into service in WWII, there will be a tiny stamp of the German eagle, with the Waffenamt (war bureau) dept. number. This stamp is about 1/4" square. On my R12, it fits comfortably in the middle cross of the W in the BMW cast above the serial number location. There were standard places to use it, but I have no idea where it goes on this motor.

--Darryl Richman

EuroIron

1939 R66 on Ebay

Post by EuroIron »

thank you and that makes more sense

the old man got this one from the east side of the wall and wasn't able to tell me much about it

The pic of the eagle isn't showing up and when I copied the properties and pasted into the browser, it wouldn't load.

I'd really like to see it but I'm searching for the eagle right now!!!

I may have just found one on the frame, have to carry it to the shop for careful cleaning to make sure, still haven't found on the engine but

it does have a small, lone, BMW rondel (about half the size of those with the engine numbers) on the left side of the engine just below that very large threaded inspection type cover and then there is a "K" stamped on the engine case close to the 2 oclock engine transmission bolt hole as indexed looking from the front. Still the proper left side and up high on a vertical surface.

Do you have any educated speculation or opinions regarding the frame numbers?

Thanks alot.

Yes I've had such meetings and gladly receive such persons who just want to look but I have little respect for people playing games and feel the need to operate under a false pretense, because it isn't necessary.

EuroIron

1939 R66 on Ebay

Post by EuroIron »

Darryl, I cleaned BOTH plunger perches and nothing, so I put acid on them to see if anything could be lifted, nothing...... no signs of sanding, grinding, or stippling

I suppose the next step would be electronically peeking to see if any numbers had ever been stamped there

I guess I could have my blast guy take it to bare metal and he could do it in less than 24 hours

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have him gently blast the engine cases now that the crank is turning and took very little effort to free

but I really wanted to offer it as it is because I know I prefer to see things I want to buy in the same, unsugar coated manner

Darryl.Richman

1939 R66 on Ebay

Post by Darryl.Richman »

My ISP was down for a couple hours this morning; just back up at 10:30am PDT. The picture should show now, not that it's a particularly good one.

I don't know about the R66 specifically, but other prewar plungers had their frame number up on this right top mount. Postwar they moved it to the left top mount, for some reason. Your frame is definitely a prewar one, there's no vertical member just ahead of where the rear fender goes.
--Darryl Richman

EuroIron

1939 R66 on Ebay

Post by EuroIron »

just forward of the serial number I see a "Y 12"* and on top of the engine, smaller than the engine font, and just behind the genny cradle, I see what may have been the eagle

cleaning it very gently and getting ready to swab it with acid to see if it lifts

* the "Y" is three bars at 120 degrees as opposed to the alpha symbol....... and these are stamped much deeper with thicker font than the fine line serial numbers....

thanks again, I updated the listing and added your site info as well as this one

I hope you don't mind me taking such liberties and btw....... how's the brew business going these days? I could put a barrel of some really fine triple bock to good use! Maybe I have some obscure bits you could as well.