If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R42 gearbox oil level

Bruce Frey

What is grease?

Post by Bruce Frey »

I remember the "grease" that my Dad put in the lower unit of his 1950's outboard motor was a fluid that came in a tube (I recall that it was called grease, not oil)...definitely heavier than 90W, but a fluid none the less.

Could this be the kind of grease they mean?

A few years ago I queried Mobil Oil Co. (before the merger) for information about European fuels and lubricants of the 1930's...giving the names used in the BMW R5-R71 Handbuchs. They claimed that they did not have any historical information of that sort and referred me to the API (American Petroleum Institute).

I never followed up with the API, but maybe it is time to do that. If you give me the names of the products listed and the years in question, I will add them to my query.

Best regards,

Bruce

bmwmyplace

R42 gearbox oil level

Post by bmwmyplace »

Bruce. I rang Mobil and spoke to there lubricants engineer ( not sales reps.) he had a book that gave him all the old refences for example Gargoyle BB is 50 and D is 60, I asked him about the grease and as I couldnt quote a number he checked what was recomended for motor cycles in the 1920s thats where he came up with the mobilux ep023 he stated that the first recomendation was in fact a little stiffer but from his experience he prefered the EP 023, he felt that it slumped better. Regards peter

VBMWMO

R42 gearbox oil level

Post by VBMWMO »

As some of you no doubt know the R42 originaly had grease in the gear box, not unlike their British counterparts; mine has been running oil since its overhaul in 1955.

Because I have NO oil level plug (or no drain plug for that matter) there is no way for me to easily estimate the correct level.

Is there anyone who can tell me what the oil level should be . I took it for a short ride yesterday, well shes a bit of a dog compared to other bikes of the same period but as I dont know what is optium for the old girl Ill give her the benifate of doubt and see if I cant get her to perform better.

The steering is uncertain so this convinces me that the wheelbase needs a tweek I think there is too little trail , and it wouldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding, so I guess it check the timing, Ive already overhauld the carb, but its very basic

anyway at least its all in one piece again and it runs ..

PeterG
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.