If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R12 R17 getting the details right

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Peter, I wish I could help you here. My R12 (war issue) has no clips at all. I didn't know what was right, and the PO had simply zip-tied the cable to the rack supports. Here are two photos from the MT archives, showing both types of fenders:

I can't see any detail in either photo as to where the wire goes exactly, and how it's secured. On the bottom photo, I don't see the wire at all, and yet, the photo doesn't look like it's had the usual BMW airbrush job.
--Darryl Richman

bmwmyplace

Post by bmwmyplace »

Hi Darryl I can help you if you decide to fix it one day, its not a big deal just one of the little details that I like to get right when I can.... Ill keep looking thanks for your help Regards Peter

bmwmyplace

Post by bmwmyplace »

Hey Darryl I think I have solved part of the issue.....I remember seeing a little piece of metal spot welded on the inside of the carrier vertical support...when I sand blasted it....but I paid it no attention .....then on seeing your photos made me think of the Reichpost bike on pg 31 BMW profiles..... and there clearly can be seen the wire on the fender held by one clip and the wire then travels down the carrier support and I can only guess that it then goes along the frame to the battery.....

Im sure someone else will fill us in thanks you were a great help

Regards Peter

Bruce Frey

Post by Bruce Frey »

Mine has three clips riveted to the main fender section. You can see one of them here.

Best regards,

Bruce[/img]

Bruce Frey

Post by Bruce Frey »

Darryl,
that did not work as planned.....what did I do wrong?

Bruce

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I've usually just cut-n-pasted the URL...I don't think there's any need for special characters...

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/bruce_frey/ ... 2315640970

Edit (1): After copying the URL, I didn't get to a valid page??

Edit (2): I played around with the URL...not sure which photo you actually wanted. Number 13??

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Bruce Frey

Post by Bruce Frey »

I thought if I used the "IMG" button to put the brackets around the URL, the picture would magically appear in the post, but it may not work with Yahoo's photos.

Anyway, If you follow the URL in Kurt's previous post, you will get to the right folder. The picture I wanted to show is entitled "Tail Light 2".

Best regards,

Bruce

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Bruce -

I'm a rookie at posting images, but I looked at some posts Darryl put together in the Forum Issues area. It seems you were on the right track, but the URL you point to must end in the appropriate suffix, like .jpg, .gif, etc. Also, Darryl said that some picture hosting sites don't allow this sort of thing.

Maybe when Darryl gets back from his trip, he'll sort things out.

BTW...which image was "Tail Light 2"...the second of the two showing the rear of the bike?

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

bmwmyplace

Post by bmwmyplace »

Thanks Bruce , it was the details on the deep fender I wanted and I think I have it sorted now...regards Peter

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

At the risk of having bricks thrown at me for hogging the forum lately, Have moved on to a long deferred project my R12

Now as a I have the R 17 fender temporarily on the R12 I have a question about wiring harness clips on the rear fender.

On the R12 ( That is the one with the Shallow fenders) there are three metal clips spot welded at intervals to hold the wire in place and they are located under the rear carrier.

On the deep valanced (Art Deco style) I can only find one clip and that is located to the rear of the carrier and is riveted on with two small rivets just like the R5 ...

In addition there is no evidence of any other clips ever having been attached , no deforming from spot welds , no welding up of holes that might have indicated the previous location

can anyone shed any light as to any additional clips and if so what would be the spacing and how many thanks in anticipation

Regards peter

[/img]
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.