If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R11 brake plate breaking

Barry Robin

R11 brake plate breaking

Post by Barry Robin »

bruce-

ah well, it happens...but i do appreciate you looking.

so: did you find any goodies for yourself?

-barry

bmwmyplace

R11 brake plate breaking

Post by bmwmyplace »

Barry I see there is some concern about R11 front brake plate , are they soooo difficult to make , what about send me some close up pictures , I have a cnc maching centre....perhaps I can help....no promises though :D Peter

gibbsp@bigpond.net.au

Barry Robin

R11 brake plate breaking

Post by Barry Robin »

hi peter-

thanks for writing to me about my little front brake problem. cnc, huh?-i never thought to do that... but it brings up a few questions:

do you think it would end up being as accurate as casting it?

one thing though: as it now has a biiig crack in it that's warped it a bit, woundn't it have to be fixed first anywayfor an correct measurement?

and it needs to be done in a composite of aluminium/magnesium; straight aluminum will be too soft. it's been fixed that way before and it ended up tearing like butter.

thoughts on the subject?
regards,
-barry

bmwmyplace

R11 brake plate breaking

Post by bmwmyplace »

Dear Robin, ? sorry I thought it was Dan Hollman who had the problem ...anyway if one was to be made on cnc it would be more accurate than any casting...... is half a thou ok for you... :D .

as for the grade of alloy there are grades available that would far exceed any casting of the 20s 30s 40 s or even todays methods, we use 7000 series alloy for suspention steering componants on race cars

No you would not have to repair it to copy it as it needs to be .drawn up first , and one can make certain assumptions to allow for distorion brakages etc

Kind Regards Peter

Barry Robin

R11 brake plate breaking

Post by Barry Robin »

peter-

sorry to not be peter! but being mistaken for him is just fine with me...i could do worse!

hmmm...this is sounding rather doable from your description. what would you need from me, other than the plate itself? i'm afraid i don't have the skills to put the info on disc;who much of a pain is it for you to do-and can i afford you?! :))

talk to you soon,
-barry

Barry Robin

R11 brake plate breaking

Post by Barry Robin »

peter- appropos of not much, here's a link to the bike in question:

http://vintagebmw.org/node/4770

cheers,
-b

bmwmyplace

R11 brake plate breaking

Post by bmwmyplace »

Barry first send me some good close up photographs of the the little sucker both inside and out and see what we can see also what state are you in

Regards peter

Barry Robin

R11 brake plate breaking

Post by Barry Robin »

peter-
ouside is easy; inside will take a bit, as i'll first have to dissasemble the front end.
-b

EuroIron

R11 brake plate breaking

Post by EuroIron »

how frail are these bikes?

they look generally robust but I'm wondering if the overall driveline would stand up to say 35 horse and a reasonably short duration 90 mph romp.... maybe more but I've no idea what final drive ratios are available for these type bikes

VBMWMO

R11 brake plate breaking

Post by VBMWMO »

Barry, If you find a supplier for the R11 front brake plate,please let me know. I need one for a 1930 also. Mine is cracked and I was going to weld It up, but found out real quick that it is made of pot metal.
I have some Series 1 R11 questions that I would like to talk with another Ser. 1 owner about. Maybe I should contact you off forum? Thanks,Dan
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.