If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

/2 Clutch versions

metoo

/2 Clutch versions

Post by metoo »

Hi.

I have some mechanical noise from the clutch. the noise disappear once the clutch is pressed. So, I'm goin to do a clutch job and I've stated to collect parts.

I've noticed that there are 2 versions for the clutch plate. one with vented base plate and riveted friction pad, the other with solid base plate and glued friction pad.

Is this different relevant? What is the best version? (i.e what is the original version)

Here are the two version:
ClutchPlate060-4.png
IMG_5732__38771.jpg

DIS295

Re: /2 Clutch versions

Post by DIS295 »

I can't speak to what is better, but the clutch that came out of my '64 R69S is like your bottom version, with friction material that is tan not gray. What's going into it is like the top version, except that there are grooves cut in the gray friction material that creates six segments.
1960 NSU Supermax
1964 BMW R69S
1968 Triumph T100R road racer
1972 Triumph T150V road racer
2019 BMW S1000R

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

My '69 R69S also has the rivet friction surfaces. I suspect the one that is glued is less costly to produce so that's likely what they're offering now.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

vechorik1373

Post by vechorik1373 »

The difference is that the plate in the upper photo is a non spring center bonded clutch.
The riveted one in the lower photo is a spring center riveted clutch.

The spring center clutch is by far the better clutch. If you look at the outer edge, you will see that the spring steel plate, between the friction plates, is NOT flat, but as an arch to it. This allows a progressive engagement, allowing you to take off on an incline, much easier.

The bonded clutch was an earlier design, that has very abrupt engagement. It is either engaged, on it isn't. Makes taking off on an incline from a standing start much more difficult.

The "noise" you are hearing, when in neutral, is NOT the clutch. It is the straight cut gears in the transmission. This is normal. When in neutral, ALL the gears (1st through 4th) are engaged and spinning. None are locked to the output shaft until it is shifted. !st through 3rd are straight cut gears. Only 4th is helical cut gears. When no under load, all the straight cut gears chatter due to the lash (slop) between the teeth. And when you pull the clutch arm back, you disengage the input shaft of the gearbox to the engine, and all the gears stop turning, and that is why the noise disappears.

There is nothing wrong with anything. That is what they do. Do check the oil level in the gearbox however. If you let it run out of oil, it will destroy the ball bearings eventually, and the lack of oil will make it become very noisy!
Vech
Technical Adviser, Former owner, Bench Mark Works
662 312 2838 cell 9 am to 4pm CST PLEASE!

metoo

Post by metoo »

Thank you for the detailed explanation!