If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

BING LEVER TOPS

Dover Rider

BING LEVER TOPS

Post by Dover Rider »

Without diving into the complexities of the Bing carbs, can anyone confirm that the lever top replacements are a good fix for (69s particularly) rich flooding after riding. I'm thinking that 57 yo carbs even with new floats and needles are still not going to work as well as ( I assume) was the BMW answer to this problem?
It would seem that they would put this issue to bed once and for all.

Slash2rider

Re: BING LEVER TOPS

Post by Slash2rider »

So it leaks after riding with closed tap?If so on a hot day fuel may boil in the carbs,it does in my 69s if I close the tap after fast ride, with open tap it doesn't leak any fuel hot or cold as long as parked level.By leaking fuel I mean few drops.
New carb tops are good solution as long as you know what's the problem is.

Dover Rider

Re: BING LEVER TOPS

Post by Dover Rider »

I'm just thinking about the job of the floats in any carb. It is suppose to stop excess fuel from entering the carb chamber. If everything is correct jets and settings etc the engine should not be flooded after it is shut off. I have not done exhaustive bench testing to see how this is happening but if the tap is off and it needs full throttle to fire I would say that the floats are not holding. As I said all replaceable parts have been replaced so I asked if the lever tops will actually hold better to alleviate this condition. Fuel is not leaking out of the carbs on the outside. If there was a way to hone the seat to better seal the float needle that would seem to be a fix as well. I think the carb top is worn out. ( I guess I answered my own question. )
Thanks for your response.