If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Power loss trouble shooting?

johnmeyers

Power loss trouble shooting?

Post by johnmeyers »

Hi there,
I just received my Dad's mostly restored R60/2. I asked the shop where he lived to get it tuned up and dialed again, and they cleaned the carbs, checked valves and replaced spark plugs, checked ignition and magneto timing, and replaced battery.

It took a good number of kicks to get it to start, but once it did it seemed ok. I noticed it had an odd propensity to get throttle when I turned the handlebar to one side, so I clipped a zip tie that seemed to limit movement of the cables.

Yesterday while riding I noticed a significant drop in power. I think I've identified that the right carburetor is acting up. When I give the left side some gas it seems to respond appropriately. The right side, seems to lug and struggle. See video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10s5yyh ... drive_link

Any ideas on where to start? This is my first ever motorcycle and while I consider myself handy, I don't have the experience to trouble shoot this kind of thing.

therealkennyboy

Re: Power loss trouble shooting?

Post by therealkennyboy »

It is possible that the idle jet is blocked on the right carb--pull it and give it a blast of carb cleaner spray?
Ken Walker
Scottsdale, AZ, USA
1960 R60 (currently), 1974 R75/6 (past), 1981 R100CS (currently), 1984 R100RS (past), 1989 K100RS (past)

xackley

Post by xackley »

You are in luck with having the simplest, easy to work on carbs in the universe.
An oddity that caused me confusion last year is that there is a steal liner where the needle sets into the main jet oriface (sp). Remove the air intakes and look into the carbs. The left and right should look the same. The steal liner should be close to flush

When it happened I had to kick it over a bunch of times before limping home, luckily only a couple miles.

But odds are it is a plugged jet as kenboy said. I don't run gas filters, but if it has sat for a while you might want to put one in the gas lines.
1958 R69, 1972 R75/5, 1980 XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 guzzi ev, 2017 guzzi V7!!!
All on the road, going no where in particular in the Finger Lakes of New York

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

The first clue that something didn't get addressed during the recommissioning is that it did not start in one or two kicks. Another story of work claimed to have been done, paid for, then disappointment. You'll need to sort it yourself, most likely. Guys here will help you get it figured out.

Dave
Dave

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

Check the spark plugs. A fowled plug could do the same thing. - You would think with a "tune -up" they would have put in new plugs, BUT.....

Craig

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Carbs and throttle cables need to be synched.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

Compression/TIMING/carbs have to be spot on for these bikes to do their thing. My R69 was getting a “slower idle” even though I never touched the carbs after setting them perfectly…. My new points have worn down just enough to retard the timing so the idle wasn’t as strong…. I checked this after not being satisfied with the carb adjustment…. Always check everything…. You never know what you will find!
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69