If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Another /6 Electrical Question

srankin

Re: Another /6 Electrical Question

Post by srankin »

Also check the gray wire's position on the back of the ignition switch. 58. if it is accidentally plugged into the spare 30 plug (red), it will energize the circuit even with the key off. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

RideSolo

Post by RideSolo »

wa1nca wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:56 pm
I think i'm getting a headache

Double check the colors going to the new headlight relay
Red to # 30
Yellow to 87
Brown to 85
Grey to 87B
Grey/Green strip to 86

Grey and Grey/green strip wires reversed ?
I did that but will check again. Thank you!
'75 BMW R90/6 "Rocinante"
Cory E.
Bucyrus, Ohio
Retired USAF

RideSolo

Post by RideSolo »

srankin wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:16 pm
Also check the gray wire's position on the back of the ignition switch. 58. if it is accidentally plugged into the spare 30 plug (red), it will energize the circuit even with the key off. St.
Thank you for that! Will check tomorrow. Got tied up today so I just let it sit... hope it's out there reflecting on it's misbehavior!
Cory E.
Bucyrus, Ohio
Retired USAF

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

srankin wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:16 pm
sranklin
Good point
POD
Did you have these problems when you received your bike or after
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

RideSolo

Post by RideSolo »

wa1nca wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:55 am
sranklin
Good point
POD
Did you have these problems when you received your bike or after
No idea. It had been sitting for 35 years and the battery in it was severely toast, I suspect it had been frozen and thawed several times. I tried putting one of those portable quick jump units on it (so that's how I know the horn worked the way they had it hooked up!) but other than the dash lights and horn and turn signals, I honestly didn't look at the headlight or mess w/ the Off/Park/On switch so I don't know if the problems were there or not. Since then I've done all the clean-up, rebuild carbs, replace top end gaskets, rebuild forks, etc w/o really worrying about the electrical because it SHOULD be right! (Yeah right!)

Had a small tornado here in town a couple of days ago. Went through a block away so no damage for us except power out, but that and a medical appt down in the big city today has kept me from spending much of any time w/ the old girl. Back at it tomorrow, I hope.
Cory E.
Bucyrus, Ohio
Retired USAF

RideSolo

Post by RideSolo »

wa1nca wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:56 pm
I think i'm getting a headache
Me too, I'm considering adding a "Tylenol Station" w/ pills and bottled water to the shop.

;) :lol:
Cory E.
Bucyrus, Ohio
Retired USAF

RideSolo

Post by RideSolo »

IT WORKS!

However I'm an honest man so I will gladly accept a nomination for the annual VBMWMO Dunce Of The Year Award. Maybe Decade. :x

Went out to the shop and started by taking the new relay off. "Surely they didn't send me a 87a rather than a 87b?" I took it off and, sure enough it was an 87A. Huh? I checked the box the other was in and it was a 87b. Huh? Huh? Then I remembered that during the process of switching over I got distracted and when I went back to it I continued switching over, wire by wire, put the old one back in the box, and tested things out. Of course I couldn't understand why the symptoms were THE SAME even w/ the correct relay. Sadly, because of the distraction I switched from the old one... to the old one. Duh. Double duh.

So, everything works as it should and I am very grateful for all the gracious and friendly assistance. Should we ever meet up, the coffee, or stronger, is on me.

Now, on to the right carb so I can get it to run on both cylinders and then it'll be pretty much done for now.
Cory E.
Bucyrus, Ohio
Retired USAF

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

Glad you got it !!!!
Of course bad part out of box !!

Glad I read your last post
Was about to post some more bad advice and was running out of things to suggest

Great post, learn something new everyday
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

srankin

Post by srankin »

Very good outcome. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

RideSolo

Post by RideSolo »

OK... I'm going to hesitantly stick my toe back into the pool one more time... (maybe this one is obvious and easy)

Curiosity... Every other motorcycle I've ever owned or ridden and every cage as well, has a light somewhere on the dash that lights up when the hi beam lights are on and goes off when on low beam. Yesterday I noticed that my headlights are all working as I would (finally!) expect; Parking, hi, lo, & flash. The little blue light at the bottom of the tach is ON when in low beam and goes OFF when on high or flash. I know that before I got the relay issue corrected it was ON, for sure, when on flash and I would assume that under normal conditions BLUE ON is suppose to indicate hi beam, unless there is some kind of peculiarity there that I don't know of. I've got to assume that, if this is exactly opposite what it should be, it should be a matter of moving the wire to the blue light from one terminal to another. The only wires in there that have been unplugged are the ones from the headlight harness which, as mentioned before, has different color wires than it oughta. I was wasn't happy w/ the terminals and replaced and heat shrinked them and they are in the right places and working as they should be. I'll trace things through, again, on the diagram, but it certainly made me say, "Huh?"

I've got the fairing on it and I'm not overly excited about the prospect of taking it back off to access the inside of the bucket so I'll leave it as-is for now; I'll be the only one riding it and I think I can tell the difference w/o a light anyway. Thanx for any input and apologies for any additional head banging.

Here's the old steed as she sits at the moment:

Cory E.
Bucyrus, Ohio
Retired USAF