If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R26 Schorsch Meier seat placement

r67boxer

R26 Schorsch Meier seat placement

Post by r67boxer »

Hello all. I'm refitting the bench seat onto my '57 R26. Up to now I've been using a Pagusa saddle but would like to put the bench seat back on. Currently there is a rubber gasket between the fender and shock tower bracket. It's quite thin but does keep the fender and tower from rubbing. Does anyone know whether the rear Schorsch Meier seat mounts fit between the fender and bracket or on the outside of the bracket? The current fitment is snug to say the least and short of using a mallet (obviously I wouldn't do that) to jam the seat bracket between the fender and tower bracket I don't see how they would fit any place but on the outside. Thoughts/suggestions or experience?

Kevin

R68

Re: R26 Schorsch Meier seat placement

Post by R68 »

It's really rare to see that gasket between the fender and shock mount, I think they were deleted in the later years of production, are often lost/deleted when the shade tree mechanic works on the bike, and I thought they were some sort of fiber or gasket material and not rubber? They were available from Mobile Tradition (or whatever it's called nowadays?), and Vech used to stock them (gray fiber/gasket material)...it's really nice to use them...incidentially, they also fit between the front brace and fender, and between the rear fender accessory holes and the various rear fender accessories...I used to mount the dual saddle brackets outboard of the shock mount...it seems kornball to wedge it between the fender and the shock mount, but that's what is usually seen on less than perfectly put together BMW's?

I'm pretty sure nobody will believe me on this rarely seen gasket (unless Vech chimes?), but here's a pic, it's part #110
Attachments
L1010340.jpeg

vechorik1373

Post by vechorik1373 »

The gasket you speak of is 46 54 5 096 109

It does not show it used between the shock tower flanges and the fender, however.
If you are going to install a bench seat, expect the paint to get scraped off on both sides of the fender when you put it on.
The only way to avoid this, is to remove the back wheel, and put a screw type jack, between the shock towers, at their base, and spread the fame slightly after loosening the 4 bolts that hold the fender to the towers. that will provide enough space to install the seat mount plates between the frame and the fender, without scratching the paint. The fame will spring right back when the jack is removed. Obviously one does not go overboard when spreading the towers with a screw jack and protective rags on each end of the jack.
Vech
Technical Adviser, Former owner, Bench Mark Works
662 312 2838 cell 9 am to 4pm CST PLEASE!

r67boxer

Post by r67boxer »

Thanks to both of you. I'll let you know what I decide and how it turns out. Not scratching the paint is important but originality is too. Thanks again.

Kevin

P.S. My avatar is a painting of the R26 as purchased about 15 yrs ago. My daughter is the artist.

CWRoady

Post by CWRoady »

A side note on the bench seat .. I just switched to a bench on my '55 R50 ahead of a ride to the Airheads rally in Death Valley a week ago. Taint as purty to my eye, and I originally intended to switch back after the trip, but won't now. My bike went from being uncomfortable for me after 100 miles to quite comfortable on this 300 mile a day ride.
Chris
1955 R50 / 1973 R75/5 / 1974 R90/6 Hack / 2015 RT
Yard Art 1968 +/- Hodaka & SACHS

r67boxer

Post by r67boxer »

CWRoady wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:13 am
A side note on the bench seat .. I just switched to a bench on my '55 R50 ahead of a ride to the Airheads rally in Death Valley a week ago. Taint as purty to my eye, and I originally intended to switch back after the trip, but won't now. My bike went from being uncomfortable for me after 100 miles to quite comfortable on this 300 mile a day ride.
Good point. The Pagusa is very comfortable when compared to the bench seat. The switchback is because I need the Pagusa for an R69 project which, in all likelihood, will see many more miles than the R26. When I first purchased the Pagusa saddle about 10 years ago it was less than half the price new than the same saddle is now. Inflation or Covidflation?

Kevin

r67boxer

Post by r67boxer »

All done. I used a 6" turn buckle that opened to over 7" and wrapped both ends of the turn buckle with rubber (held in place with zip ties) to protect the inside of the tower. The shock towers were spread just enough to squeeze the seat bracket in. Worked like a charm.Thanks again Vech.

Kevin