If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1969 R69S Advice to a new comer

hender107

Re: 1969 R69S Advice to a new comer

Post by hender107 »

Saw it in person today, the man and the bike exist. He also has a peel fairing for it, in need of some
Fiberglass work, not sure how desirable that is. The front fender has some welding on it that’s hidden by the forks, possible repair but the rest of the fend looks like original paint.

You all have been helpful with your input, included a few more pics I got today if anyone notices anything else about the bike. This is all a learning experience me so anything is appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_8769.jpeg
IMG_8766.jpeg
IMG_8763.jpeg
IMG_8760.jpeg
IMG_8754.jpeg

xackley

Post by xackley »

a little marvel mystery to loosen the rings, clean the points, check for spark, clean the the carbs.
Clean the oil pan.
Your should be able to tell if it has compression, but a test would be good.
Then
Start it up and ride a few miles.
1958 R69, 1972 R75/5, 1980 XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 guzzi ev, 2017 guzzi V7!!!
All on the road, going no where in particular in the Finger Lakes of New York

Worleybird89

Post by Worleybird89 »

Great find! Great price! That's why several suspected a scam. If you decide it will need more work and money than you want to put into it, I'm interested. I'll offer more than you are paying. My opinion, leave the fairing off and put the stock headlight back together. I believe the light and the chrome ring are on the fairing. From the pics, it looks like it will clean up quite well. If you want it to look like new, it will most likely cost you more than it will be worth in the end.
David Worley
'62 R27, '67 R60/2 w/Steib S500 Sidecar
College Station, TX
USA

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

If you go for it, I suggest you also get the Peel fairing, but not mount it. First get the bike running as a stock bike. Someone will want the Peel fairing and you can sell it if you decide later it's not for you.

I agree that, if you do a full restoration, you will have to put in more than it is worth right now. But, over time, these tend to catch up to and surpass the price of the restoration now. Depending on how much is needed to complete the mechanical restoration, you can decide how much to spend on the bike's looks.
--Darryl Richman

staggerlee

Post by staggerlee »

Great find Hender. I am new as well so ill add my experience. i inherited my dads bike. he bought it in 67, it sat since 1991. i just retired so i have time for it now.
- The guys telling you that you can flip the bike easily are correct
- The guys telling you that you can get it running are correct. these things are incredibly durable.
- The guys telling you that you can and should work on it yourself are correct.

reasons i tell you this:
- i had no mechanical experience.
- use the barrington manual, all the tools from cycleworks.net, videos on youtube.
- i am going slow but i have been able to take everything apart and have parts out at body shop and blaster shop right now.
- These people on this forum have been so helpful and gracious with their knowledge and will help you.

brown3459

Post by brown3459 »

Congratulations! I am happy for you. Nice to hear of a new enthusiast off to a good start with a desirable model at a bargain price ! Follow the good advice given here and you will have one of the best motorcycles ever made. , maybe even THE best ! I speak from much experience.
Barry Brown
Canada