If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

corrosion of floating chamber of carb

Goro F

corrosion of floating chamber of carb

Post by Goro F »

after cleaning and washing old carburetors (bing 1/22/61-62) I wonder if there is anything to protect them from further corrosion of the floating chamber. So far does not compromise the functionality.

any reccomendation?

thx
Attachments
incrostazioni.jpg

sherman980

Re: corrosion of floating chamber of carb

Post by sherman980 »

Been experimenting with a small bit of Caswell Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer for just this application. Mixed up a very small batch and "painted" it on with a small brush to avoid getting in places I didn't want it. So far so good. Fixed a pinhole and firmed up some "softness" in the bottom of the float chamber of a carb that I thought was junk. Bead blasted the bottom inside of the chamber beforehand to make sure the metal that was left was CLEAN (the additional "texturing" helps adhesion as well), and used a bit of masking tape on the outside to prevent the leaking area from leaking the sealer while it set up. Worth a try....
Last edited by sherman980 on Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks.
Chuck S

R68

Post by R68 »

I used to use "JB Weld" which is a kind of dark grey epoxy that if visible looks just like the pot metal carb body, and then cover the JB W with a protective layer of gas tank sealer, POR?, to protect the JBW from gasoline...you note the conical shape of the bottom of the float chamber? This is to let water that accumulates to have a place to collect, and lets you be generous with the JB W patch!
When taking the bike out of service for awhile, always remove the float cover/float and remove any water that has accumulated. If you believe in capillary action, squirt some oil (Marvel Mystery Oil?) into the float chamber, keeps the jets cleaner (maybe, I dunno really know!)
If the float chamber floor is completely rotted away, I guess you could make a new "floor" and glue it into place, never done this myself...

Worleybird89

Post by Worleybird89 »

This was on one of the Facebook groups two days ago.
Attachments
2024-02-28 21_16_08-Window.png
David Worley
'62 R27, '67 R60/2 w/Steib S500 Sidecar
College Station, TX
USA

Goro F

Post by Goro F »

thx to all for the suggestions!

Goro F

Post by Goro F »

may I can ask which are you method to remove deeply deposit of limestone and oxidation from the carb that you experienced?

For the floating chamber where the deposits were strong, i ve used cleaner which has application in the removal of limestone from toilets. I got with a very good result

Then i ve used solvent with ultrasonic washing to clean all parts.

I still have some oxidation inside the main housing and throttle slides that i m trying to remove with soft brush. I m wondering if the cleaner i used for the floating chamber would be too aggressive for this surfaces and could damaged them. Any opinion on that?

share a link where is shown the use of such cleaner to clean carb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzZaaH4fXL0