If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

wiring question re. starter protection relay

richrd

wiring question re. starter protection relay

Post by richrd »

I'm bringing a '73 r60/5 back to life as a rider and I have heard it run. So next step is to straighten out the botched wiring.

I'm leaning toward just stripping it and doing a quick simple wire loom. The issue is the SPR. has anyone ever just eliminated this. All it does that I can see is stop the starter from turning when the motor is running. Every other bike I can think of uses common sense for this, and I haven't broken a starter yet.

srankin

Re: wiring question re. starter protection relay

Post by srankin »

I am not quite sure of what you want to do and why?

The purpose of a relay is to provide low current control of a higher current draw item.

I don't have the exact current loads for each of your items such as the starter (which does have a separate cable for it's very high current draw) the starter solenoid, and starter button.

So what I'm getting at is you don't want a high current flow through your starter button, the lower the better. The current to operate the solenoid might be much higher and could lead to button failure.

Things are put into place by the designers for a reason.

Oh, check with EME, you might just be able to buy a complete factory copy wiring harness. Good luck, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

richrd

Post by richrd »

I'll just wire in a simple relay for the starter system. I've done many bikes from scratch. The starteer protection seems to be a complicated piece for a simple need.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I guess I will have to dig out a wiring diagram in one of my books to see what you are referring to. I didn't think the wiring on a /5 was all that complex to begin with. St.

richrd

Post by richrd »

airhead wiring is pretty basic. The catch with them the complicated "ignition switch". The Germans and the Italians tried to pack too much in the headlight shell. You ever take a good look at the switch on the '73 r60? Probably not, there's no easy way to get it out. And if you do there is a good chance of breaking one of the tabs on the headlite shell, ruining it.

The Japanese also like to over complicate the ig switch. They use a basic key tumbler, but a hugh amount to wires. The airheads and the Asians also switch ground wires which has always seemed un-neccessary. The Asians also have the worst wiring diagrams.

Which brings us to the Brits. Triumphs, BSA and Nortons. ('60s and '70s). Very basic wiring. Easy to read diagrams. Too bad the components and connectors were garbage. What I do like about these bikes is that they used to same basic colors on all machines. I use original colors with modern connectors from Cycle Terminal and tuck wires into split loom.

So back to the r60. The switch is shot and the tabs in the h/l bucket are broke. both left and right handlebar switches are shot. and at $125 each, I won't be replacing them until I sell the bike. I have a ten dollar starter button coming from Amazon and the turn singles won't be working.

The question here was the starter protection relay. It is not a simple relay to protect the switch. according to the book is to prevent the starter from turning when the motor is running.

The ig switch is replaced with a toggle switch, the headlights will be via toggle, fed from main toggle thru a relay.

I didn't want to do any cosmetic work until I decide if I'm going to keep it, but it now runs, and needs a need rear tire before I can ride it. And one thing has led to another and now I have to go to town to get more primer to start painting.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Good luck. St.

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

The R60/5 starter protection relay only works when the engine is not running (alternator not charging--blue wire on relay) and also uses a low current stater switch to close the higher current relay to power the stater motor
Attachments
slash5_wire no fuses.jpg
72fused.jpg
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

srankin

Post by srankin »

Thank Tommy, I guess richrd will do what he wants to do. St.

richrd

Post by richrd »

Gee, you make that sound like a bad thing.

mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Ride what you got , thats the best part .