If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Battery for R75/5 sealed or not. Opinons?

jberzins

Battery for R75/5 sealed or not. Opinons?

Post by jberzins »

Hello,
Just picked up an R75/5, had one when I was a kid. Anyway need a new battery and I am looking for recommendations. I did a search and found there is some debate between using traditional or sealed agm. Anyway, thanks for any advice, would like to keep it reasonable as I haven't heard the engine start at this point.
1969 R69US, 1966 R/60, 1973 R75/5, 2001 R1100RS

srankin

Re: Battery for R75/5 sealed or not. Opinons?

Post by srankin »

If you like cleaning terminals and corrosion from your battery mounts as well as checking fluid levels go for a traditional battery.

I don't have a /5 myself but the shop I frequent who restores and repairs installs more sealed batteries than traditional.

I can say that since I switched to sealed Odyssey batteries, I have not had to clean terminals nor have I had any corrosion under the seat in the area of the battery for 30 years. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

My experience is different. On my /7 I've used nothing but slosh batteries from BMW for many many years. I have never had issues with corrosion on the terminals.

A small point, but something to consider. Technically the charging system of the Airheads are not designed to work with sealed batteries. They were designed to work with the old fashioned slash battery. It still works but bottom line is they weren't designing the charging system and profile in 1975 for a sealed battery that didn't exist at the time.

And this is something I've heard, but have no experience with sealed batteries. I've heard that they are good up to a point and then the performance falls off a cliff. My slosh batteries have always given me some kind of warning that end of days was near.

That said, I run 6 volt sealed batteries on my other two bikes. So take my input for what it's worth! It also should be noted that my /7 requires a battery to run whereas the other two bikes do not need a battery at all.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jberzins

Post by jberzins »

Hello,
Thanks for the input. I do have an odyssey battery in my R1100RS. I also happen to have two of their chargers so I might go that route. I have heard that unless you use the correct charger the /5 might not be able to charge the battery completely.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I hear tons of stories and there are numerous battery threads on batteries saying all kinds of things pro and con, with everyone having a favorite brand.

As I said, my local shop has replaced /5 batteries with sealed and as far as I know has never had a problem.

The biggest shop problem with batteries was issues with cheaply made crap ones failing. LOL, Glenn now hard sells the Odyssey batteries and rarely has return or problems. He will install what you want but...

One issue I believe is there is no direct bolt in Odyssey battery to fit. Close but no cigar. If I remember I will ask what model number fits best in your application. LOL, if I remember, teflon memory as I get older. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

richrd

Post by richrd »

One thing to consider, if you are the guy that lets the bike sit for long periods on a maintainer type charger. (battery tender)

Over time, the wet battery can boil dry. No big deal if you check it. But it is one more thing to keep track of. I have also lost track of how many mufflers I've seen with the chrome ruined from dripping acid.

I currently have 9 bikes, many more that have come and gone over the years, and my experience is that batteries are all luck of the draw. I have seen wet batteries last one year and ten years. the same for AGM and other sealed.

But since your here, can you tell me what size battery or number I need for my r60/5 that started for the first time yesterday.

jberzins

Post by jberzins »

Hey there,
Not sure which size you need. I am still sort of figuring that out myself. I think I am going to go with the Odyssey. I have a spare charger that is made for it.

r67boxer

Post by r67boxer »

I've waffled between AGM and flooded but do prefer AGM for ease of use. I currently have two /5s and both are fitted with the Odyssey PC680. Seems to work well in both cold climates (western Canada) and coastal (British Columbia).

Kevin

Kidasters

Post by Kidasters »

I installed an Odyssey PC680 in my 73 /5. The nice thing is that it is slightly smaller than the "stock" battery, and easier to slip down into the spot. It's also very easy to install the charging pigtail, and zip tie it to the frame so it stays relatively hidden.

I've run nothing but AGM batteries on my airheads (/5, /6 and /7) and never had an issue.
What do you mean "next" project?

--My wife