If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Very hard to start r60/2

salilla

Very hard to start r60/2

Post by salilla »

I have freshly rebuilt engine and it is extremely hard to start and to get running. The ignition is static timed correctly, but still it is impossible to get running. Any adjustment to carbs doesn’t seem to make a difference. It fires up but only runs on left cylinder for a couple of seconds and then dies. I have kicked it for hours on end without any results. I rebuilt the advancer unit and eventough the camlobes are a bit worn, is seems good and not the issue.

The engine is timed properly so that should not be the case. I have got it to rev up just a few times before dying again.

I have ran out if ideas so please help if you can!

schrader7032

Re: Very hard to start r60/2

Post by schrader7032 »

Magento issues? A poorly timed magneto...it's timed independent of ignition timing...could result in hard starting. Also, if it's an original magneto, could be the internal wires have broken down resulting in weak spark. Emerald Isle makes a solid state replacement ignition system.

Could also be the carbs...you didn't mention what you did for them. Should confirm that the book specs are set and that the cables are properly raising the slides.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

salilla

Post by salilla »

Well the magneto is the only thing that has not been completely refurbished :D

Carbs were vapour blasted and refurbished with all new internals and have been checked for dirt and grime multiple times. The ticklers are the new type ones and needle valves are set correctly. No issues there I suppose. Might be that the carbs are just so worn that it might a reason but seems unlikely as I have had a lot more worn Amal carbs on british bikes.

The spark looks to be good and bright blue on both cylinders. New leads and caps also. I have had multiple magneto issues before with british bikes but the symptoms of weak spark have been easy to spot. The magneto is timed correctly too. I have checked it a million times but will check again just to be sure.

I guess that the magneto could ve the scource of the issues and I’ll have to look into that again.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Can you measure the resistance from one spark plug cap to the other? Would be interesting to know what that is.

Also, I just remembered the safety gaps on the magnetos. Those two "points" that are below where the spark plug wires connect to the coil...there should be a gap of around 10mm between the point and the tip of the coil/wire.
Kurt in S.A.

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

Do you have new spark plugs installed? If you do are they a match for you motor. I ran into the same issue years ago with my R 60US. Great spark, Vech timed on a rebuilt lower end but won't start. New plugs and 5 years later its a 2 kick wonder.

metoo

Post by metoo »

Try spraying starting fluid to the air filter inlet. If it stars immediately, your problem are the carbs.

salilla

Post by salilla »

schrader7032 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:42 pm
Can you measure the resistance from one spark plug cap to the other? Would be interesting to know what that is.

Also, I just remembered the safety gaps on the magnetos. Those two "points" that are below where the spark plug wires connect to the coil...there should be a gap of around 10mm between the point and the tip of the coil/wire.
Safety gaps are just about 10mm.

The resistance is 11,8 kOhms. I have no idea what it should be. Points open or closed does not make a difference. Altough I don’t think it should make a difference.

salilla

Post by salilla »

I’m currently going throug the whole thing again and I’ll once more clean the gas tank, fuel tap etc. I know from Messerschmitt bubble cars that Bing carbs are very picky about fuel lines and any dirt and grime so I’ll just once more make sure that the problem is not carb related before ordering a new coil…

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

salilla wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:27 am
The resistance is 11,8 kOhms. I have no idea what it should be. Points open or closed does not make a difference. Altough I don’t think it should make a difference.
I have notes that the resistance should be around 17K ohms. So you're a little low. Not sure how significant that is.
Kurt in S.A.

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

Recheck your mag rotor and confirm that the hash mark WITH the punch is exactly at 12 o'clock when the S mark is in the window. Don't assume that it is because you put it there when you installed it. I've seen them spin.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire