If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Just Shaping a Milestone

cbclemmens

Just Shaping a Milestone

Post by cbclemmens »

IMG_5034.JPG
IMG_5035.JPG

cbclemmens

Re: Just Shaping a Milestone

Post by cbclemmens »

Somehow I posted that without text. That's my 1971 R 75/5 that I just rolled over to 50 K miles.

I parked it just before Christmas resting on the side stand. Last week it got back up above 50 so I rolled it out, checked the tire pressure and all the fluids, charged the battery and started it up. It started up ok but ran rough. I opened the choke up and it was still running real rough, like only one cylinder was firing. I let it warm up and the dew started boiling off the right side but not the left. I shut it down and pulled the left plug. It was wet and oily so I cleaned it on the wire wheel, hooked it back up and set it on the jug. I started it up and watched the spark. It was there but very weak. I put the plug back in and started it up. It ran a little better but still a little rough. I decided to drive it around a bit and warm it up. It ran a little better as I did and every once and a while it would surge for a second or 2. After 3 or 4 miles I stopped at a stop sign and then pulled out onto the highway. It was running better but still not quite right. I accelerated up to 4,500 RMP and shifted into second. I cracked the throttle and it almost pulled both arms out of their sockets. Obviously the engine had gotten hot enough for the left plug to start firing full time. About 5 miles down the road I stopped for gas. When I started back up it was rough again for a minute or 2. Since then it has run just fine, a little rough at starting but after the choke comes off - just fine.

I'm thinking I oil fouled the plug ( brand new about 1,000 miles ago), and running it cleared that up. Any other ideas?

Craig

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

:roll: 50K and many more to go !

My R75/6 smokes on the left side if parked on the side stand(spark plug ok)
Ok if parked on the center side

I. was told they all do that
Last edited by wa1nca on Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

srankin

Post by srankin »

Boxers of airhead vintage tend to smoke sometimes from oil migrating into the left cylinder while parked on the side stand. Personally I never had enough oil get in to foul a plug but, I could have been lucky.

At least we don't have to prop through the bikes like they did radial engines in airplanes, LOL.

Since I started using ride off stands and haven't used the side stand regularly for years, I haven't had a smoke issue. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

I did the rings at 47k miles. They might not be completely seated, plus I drained out the 20W50 in October and put in 10W40 for the winter months. I was used to it smoking a little on start-up but not where it affected running.

Craig

srankin

Post by srankin »

For a while, until I started heating my garage/shop in the winter I used 10w 40, on the side stand back then there would be a bit more smoke than with the heavier oil. Funny how memories come back LOL St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS