If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

vape and spark plugs

SEATTLEGS

vape and spark plugs

Post by SEATTLEGS »

Hello folks...I am almost new to this forum. I own a 1966 R60/2. 2 questions...what spark plugs do you recommend? I have Nortons and they respond very well to Denso iridium IW22 plugs. They outperform the standard NGK BP7ES in every way...starting, idling, acceleration and plug life. Is there something like this for the /2?

2nd)...Another owner is thinking about the 12v vape conversion and wants me to install it. How has the VAPE system worked out for people? Testimonials please.

wa1nca

Re: vape and spark plugs

Post by wa1nca »

Quote:
2nd)...Another owner is thinking about the 12v vape conversion and wants me to install it. How has the VAPE system worked out for people? Testimonials please.

Ok for R60, R60/2, r50,R50/2

But didn't like on R69s because of the higher compression ratio and slower kick over rpm
trigger is unreliable and very hard to start and had many kickbacks damage to my leg !!
Once started ran great

I removed the ignition portion and keep the 12 volt generator/slator setup

Im sure you will get more feedback from others

Don't use NGK BR7ES Resistor plugs
New O ohm wires comes with the kit
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

SEATTLEGS

Post by SEATTLEGS »

It is possible to buy the NGK plug caps with only 1K ohms, that' what I usually use. I do not know if the Vape system needs 5K resistance or not. Boyers and Pazons do not. So what spark plugs do you use?

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

Tommy Byrnes
Ashfield, Ma
USA

niall4473

Post by niall4473 »

Never found any plug that Nortons liked better than KLG FE80/FE100, but getting a bit thin on the ground nowadays, fortunately I have enough left to see me out, plus a few of the short reach F100s which work well in R69S. Never had any use for NGK plugs, even champion L78C are more reliable and consistent in the R50/60 IMHO, and I would only use them if I couldn't get Bosch W24OT1 or W4AC, Blitz sell a replacement W240T1 and Beru do the Z39, both of which I would recommend.
I have a B.T-H alternator/ignition of my R69S-engined outfit, aside from needing a little time to warm up before it will rev it is extremely good, the only trouble I have had is that I have had to replace the (very cheap) ignition coils a couple of times.
They no longer advertise this unit, and told me that there was little or no interest in it.
Attachments
20220117_192517.jpg
Oil is always cheaper than metal

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Seattle-
Got the Vape system for my R69 (not S) in maybe 2010 or 2012, when they were still called Powerdynamo, right when they were transitioning from being cam triggered to crank triggered.
The reason I got it was specifically because they'd made that trigger change, as up to that point they'd enjoyed an iffy reputation of performing well but with hard starting.

Making that trigger change made total sense, as the computer now would get TWICE the number of signals to verify and deliver firing point at kickstart speed; without the needed number of signals the computer will not fire the coils.

For me, this system produced much better starting and low engine speed running than the old stock system; well worth the money and effort.

However, if this is for an R69S model, I would specifically solicit opinions from R69S owners who've installed the latter crank trigger system.

Because as Tommy related, some S owners had a very tough time with the Powerdynamo/Vape, due to the compression limiting the kickstart speed, (lightened flywheels produced the same effect, not enough momentum to continue to roll over against the high compression) and it would be great to clarify if all S models had difficulty, and/or if difficulty only arose with the old cam trigger, or also with the newer crank trigger version.

For spark plugs, I'm using NGK B8HS, still on the same pair installed with the new ignition system, still with a crisp electrode, indicating a hot spark; so similar plug longevity as with the original magneto.
Plug caps are NGK LZFH, (non-resistor) on the plug wires supplied with the ignition kit.
Best-
George

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

George
Yea my r69s has the trigger off of crankshaft and still initial timing was erratic
Tommy Byrnes
Ashfield, Ma
USA

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

SEATTLEGS wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:35 pm
It is possible to buy the NGK plug caps with only 1K ohms, that' what I usually use. I do not know if the Vape system needs 5K resistance or not. Boyers and Pazons do not. So what spark plugs do you use?
From Vape install manual:

- You will do yourself a favor to treat your bike to new spark plugs and spark plug sockets
(preferably some between 0-2kOhm). Plenty of problems are to be traced back to "apparently good"
(even completely "brand-new") sparks plugs, terminals and cables.
- Do not use spark plugs with an intern suppression resistor. NGK (e.g.) offered such spark plugs
coded with an "R" (for resistor).
Tommy Byrnes
Ashfield, Ma
USA