If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R90/6 help

shoe1151

R90/6 help

Post by shoe1151 »

Hello all, I have a 1974 R90/6 barn find with, 21K on the clock and am starting the refurbish on it and noticed someone has painted the wheels with aluminum paint, who should I have build a new set of rims or what other options?
Also any recommendations on painting and pin striping the tank fender etc.
Thanks
Steve S

srankin

Re: R90/6 help

Post by srankin »

Steve, where are you at? St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

shoe1151

Post by shoe1151 »

I am located in Haubstadt, IN . Southern, IN

srankin

Post by srankin »

I am not familiar with anyone in your area that does wheel rebuilding. I suppose you could ship everything to Max BMW on the East Coast.

As for paint and pinstripe, my last paint job on my RT I had done by a Harley and custom car painter. Most BMW bike colors are available in the Glasurit company (which can be expensive) or Dupont color catalog. The original paint for your bike is no longer available by that I mean the original formula. The color code is still good as I said via Glasurit or Dupont.

Time was you could find a car shop that would do a very nice bike paint job but my experience has been that has gone away. The excuse is that bikes take too much fiddling to prepare, paint and finish to make them worth the shop's time.
So, I found a guy near me by asking around the Harley shops and custom bike shops. He did a very nice paint job for the money.
On your rear fender is or was a tag with a three digit number. This is NOT the paint color code but is a paint/pin stripe code.
I think, Snowbum has a list of these BMW codes broken down with the paint color code and the pinstripe color code. I believe the UK website BM bikes has a color code list for each year. Good luck. St.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Are there ways to successfully and carefully strip paint from the rims? That might be a way to go initially.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

shoe1151

Post by shoe1151 »

Thanks Fellas, for the info , I was especially concerned about the pin striping , I would like it to look as close to factory as I can get it.

srankin

Post by srankin »

The R90/6 bikes didn't have terribly complex pinstripes. Take a lot of good pictures of the fenders and gas tank stopping and any other if it is factory, before you have the tanks prepped for painting. St.

shoe1151

Post by shoe1151 »

the R90/6 has definitely been repainted and pinstriped by taping it off and painting gold pinstripes. pretty ugly! the bike otherwise is in pretty good shape except someone tried to bore one cylinder .010 over but put a.010 piston in with standard rings in with all the gaps lined up in a row, so no compression on one side. I will put new piston and rings in one side and rings in the other side which looks perfect.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Oh lucky you to have a bike infected with "previous owners disease", I am sorry to hear it. My friend bought a RT with a "rebuilt" engine, both cylinders had the ring groves lined up. It ran but, ran much better when sorted.

I myself like to sort things out and this winter is the first time I don't have a bike on the lift to sort. I am doing a lot of reading. LOL.

Sorry to hear about the over painting, it makes it harder to get original work done but not impossible. Start looking at any pictures you can of R90/6 bikes with OM paint and stripe. As I wrote, the OM stripe is not terribly complex say as on my RT or RS.

If you go to this website, here is the codes and colors. St.
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/paintcodes.htm http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/annualcolourschemes.htm

shoe1151

Post by shoe1151 »

Thanks Srankin, now I have a new problem (you could see that coming couldn't you) took the carbs off and and started to rebuild the left and what did I find but a crack in the main jet housing. so now I am I the hunt for a bing 64/32/11. I found a body on eBay a 64/32/9 for $95 but not sure if it's compatible. I really appreciate all your help especially with the pin striping.
lotta knowledge out there!