If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Fluids

ARC8ECT

Fluids

Post by ARC8ECT »

Hello again

As I’m going through all my fluids to change them, I noticed the plug with the magnetic has a lot of aluminum residue or shavings that is for the transmission fluid.

Any recommendation of what to do before filling in the new fluid for the transmission and a new plug washer?
Attachments
IMG_2230.jpeg
IMG_2231.jpeg

schrader7032

Re: Fluids

Post by schrader7032 »

I forget...is this a new to you bike? How many miles? Past maintenance? If the first time for you, I'd clean the plug up and add your favorite gear oil and recheck at the next fluid change.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

ARC8ECT

Post by ARC8ECT »

New to me no idea of record or maintenance. So I am going through fluids.

Is it true new trans fluid will most likely raise issues prior held together with old fluid and should have been left alone?

I know it sounds silly but you hear that a lot.

drpetemurray

Post by drpetemurray »

ARC8ECT wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:10 pm
Is it true new trans fluid will most likely raise issues prior held together with old fluid and should have been left alone?

I know it sounds silly but you hear that a lot.
Coincidental at best, your transmission will benefit from the fluid change. The filings and sludge on the drain plug are not that bad. Run the bike and if all operates properly don't worry.
I would switch from the copper washer to crush washers.
PeteM
Stroudsburg,Pa
73 R75/5 , 1014 RTW, IBA 359

srankin

Post by srankin »

What did the gear oil you drained look like? Was it solid oil color or milky, white in it? A milky colored gear oil means water got into it, or moisture condensed. Not a good thing.

If it were me, and the old oil was free of water, I would refill and ride, and reexamine the next change, or tear down if there is something obviously wrong.

If there was water in the oil, I would send the transmission out for service to a shop. Who knows what shape the bearings are in.

To do repairs properly, there a couple of special tools needed as well as possible shimming involved. I don't recommend a do it your self if that is the case. Good luck, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

ARC8ECT

Post by ARC8ECT »

So all fluids are complete. The oil was super dark, but that’s all done. The transmission was definitely on the milky side and that is done as well.

Kinda unrelated question but I changed the fuel filters along with all the other filters and the fluids and now the bike will not start. It will crank and it wants to start but it will not start so I am assuming those are the filters and possibly the fuel is not being delivered am I correct?

The bike ran just perfect before all this maintenance. Is there anything that I need to reset or I should be aware of that I missed when you do a maintenance like that?

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Describe the fuel filters. Can you show us pictures installed? Note that most external filters have a flow direction marked on the body.
Kurt in S.A.

ARC8ECT

Post by ARC8ECT »

Clear with orange paper filter inserts as it appears. I am positive of direction of flow with arrow downward La away from pit but will check again.
Attachments
IMG_2381.png

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

You could of course remove the filter and recheck. Or turn the petcocks on for a few seconds, then off. Drop the float bowls and ensure there's around about 25mm of fuel in the float bowl, measured with a stick or something right in the center.
Kurt in S.A.

r67boxer

Post by r67boxer »

As an aside, I haven't had much luck with paper element filters. Although your problem is probably not due to the filter or element I would recommend one of these filters. I use this type on all my vintage bikes. I believe the filter is copper mesh. If you explode the image you'll see the arrow that was mentioned earlier.

Kevin
Attachments
20231217_061222(1).jpg