If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Where to get gas tank lining redone

hooverbj

Where to get gas tank lining redone

Post by hooverbj »

The red liner in my tank (1966 R50/2) has rusted over. I'm aware of products such as Por. I'd rather not have to do it myself.
Does anyone have any recommendations of where I ca send my tank to have it re-done in the original orange/red color?

weh8127

Re: Where to get gas tank lining redone

Post by weh8127 »

I've always had mine done at a local radiator shop. As well as re-lining the tank they can also check for leaks by sealing, pressurizing and submerging in their water tank. Go talk to a few and go with one you're comfortable with.
Bill Husted
Barre, MA USA
1963 R60/2 w/ 1955 Steib S500
1973 R75/5

hooverbj

Post by hooverbj »

Unfortunately,
I live in a very rural town in Southern Utah, and I know there is no radiator shop that I would trust to touch my tank.
I remember someone posting about a company that specialized in tank re-lining and matching the color inside perfectly.

strichzwei

Post by strichzwei »

Bite the bullet and do it yourself, my 2 cents!
There are plenty of tutorials on line.
Caswell's "Dragon Blood" is a pretty good match.

scott

hooverbj

Post by hooverbj »

Thanks, I will give it a try!

vechorik1373

Post by vechorik1373 »

You can do this yourself, but let me give you some important hints that I learned the hard way.

1. cut a couple of pieces of the outer sheath of a throttle cable, about 3 inches long. strip the outer black plastic sheath off of both pieces. Use a battery drill, and thread each piece of throttle cable up inside each crossover tube. Just enough for the end of the cable sheath to emerge out of the tube, on the inside.
This will prevent the complete plugging of each tube, after whatever tank coat you use, and after the tank coat is dry, you can remove the hose, and then pull, and RIP the sheath out of each tube, clearing them completely so gas will pass through each tube.
2. use and old gas cap, because the sealant will plug up the vent feature and ruin the cap. Likewise use a wine cork or rubber stopper in the hole for the petcock.
3. If the paint is good on the outside of the tank, before you attempt to clean out the inside of the tank, get a big tub of wheel bearing grease, and smear the outside of the tank with a thick layer of grease, all over it. If you spill solvent (like lacquer thinner) or tank coat on your existing paint, it WILL ruin the finish. And you will spill some, or the gas cap will ooze some out on the paint when you rotate/roll the tank around during coating. Whatever is spilled on the grease covered tank, just leave it alone, and wait until the inside is dry, and then wipe off the grease and spilled tank coat together, followed my a good dish washing soap and water bath to get the grease off the paint. And since handling the greased tank is not unlike holding a greased pig, be sure and put a long bolt with a nut through the front mount to give you something firm to hold onto the tank with!
Vech
Technical Adviser, Former owner, Bench Mark Works
662 312 2838 cell 9 am to 4pm CST PLEASE!

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

1,000% agree with Vech on you can do it yourself! I would go a step further and say you should do it yourself. I've had to reseal two tanks after a Holt paint & pinstripe job, three tanks with pristine OEM paint & pinstripe and a few that I have repainted after the reseal. I only use the Red Kote gas tank sealer product, if you aren't careful this stuff will destroy OEM paint, repaint and any pinstripe's in a heart beat. The prep work is the most important and will determine the outcome of the completed job. I have spent hours and even days removing poorly prepped and applied tank liners on some of my personal projects so I know that the prep work is the key.

Absolutely use the old brake or throttle cable strands to keep the crossover tubes clear regardless of the product you use and wheel bearing grease can be your best friend along with clear thinking and common sense.

Otherwise plan on a repaint and stripe after the reline.

strichzwei

Post by strichzwei »

Those are great tips from pros!
I have done a couple of tanks with nice paint jobs and thoroughly wrapped them in cellophane for protection, which worked out well for me. Also, I purchased a number of silicone stoppers of varying diameters for plugging holes, I haven't done a /2 tank but will remember Vech's trick for the crossover tubes!.
Good luck,
Scott

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a “new to me R12” and after I am done cleaning the tank I am considering what to do.

I am seriously considering leaving it without a liner and just making sure I keep the fuel topped off to
Minimize any rust potential. I have read varying thoughts on lining versus leaving it raw and would love to know everyone’s thoughts.
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

James, I would line it. Eventually the rust will show. At least now there's little to no prep before you seal it. My R25/2 was raw steel and I dragged my heels and it got away from me. Now I'm facing derusting and lining. YMMV!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.