If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

speedo rebuiild

richrd

speedo rebuiild

Post by richrd »

I have emptied out the rats nest of wiring inside the headlite. ('73 r60/5) and pulled the speedo.

Both the speedo and tach are locked up and the tach needle is rattling around in the case.

Has anyone rebuilt one of these? I see that replacements can be had, but I don't want to put that much into one part at this time. Maybe later if I decide I like her.

schrader7032

Re: speedo rebuiild

Post by schrader7032 »

Usually people go to the available sources:

- North Hollywood
- Palo Alto
- Overseas Speedo
- Joe Levine ?
- Terry Vrla
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Kidasters

Post by Kidasters »

It won't be cheap if you send it to PA or NH Speedo.

If you want it right - send it to them. If you just want an instrument, find a used one somewhere that still works (probably the cheapest) - or go with something else electronic that will work instead.
What do you mean "next" project?

--My wife

drpetemurray

Post by drpetemurray »

I had my R 75/5 speedometer restored at Joe's Speedometer location Reseda Ca 818-468-4414. The speedo required the replacement of both needles. Out the door price including return express shipping to Pa. $475. No affiliation just a satisfied customer.
PeteM
Stroudsburg,Pa
73 R75/5 , 1014 RTW, IBA 359

willstone

Post by willstone »

I've had good reasonable and timely repairs done at www.powls-speedometer.com in Lancaster PA. Also, a brand new /5 speedometer is available at www.motorworks.co.uk in England for about $303 US plus shipping. I find that shipping from the UK is often as fast as shipping from within the US, if not faster. They have many used parts for BMW bikes that are cheaper than eBay prices.

cwf

Post by cwf »

It's perfectly possible to have a go at fixing them yourself, if you're quite handy or $100s is too much. Often, lack of lubrication is the problem either in the mechanism or the cable.
Tricky bits are - pulling the needle, it's an interference fit (push fit), so you need to pull evenly from behind as you push from the front. Before you remove it, check how much it is pre-sprung, it will push slightly against the stop as standard. How much depends on having a calibrator but, if you just want one that works, a rough guess is fine.
Replacing the screws in the outer cover. Plastic is not good at resisting long-term pressure and will crack around the brass inserts- only do up the screws lightly.
The gearing that turns the cable drive to the spindle drive, it's specific to each gearbox/final drive gearing, so if you use parts from another speedo, you'll change (slightly) the accuracy.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.