If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Ignition / Starting Issue

CafePB

Re: Ignition / Starting Issue

Post by CafePB »

I only could work a little on the bike this weekend.
While doing some measurements it appeared that when I try to measure the voltage on D+ of the VR, it triggers the light to come on. So I made a little ‘flag’ out of aluminum foil and inserted it in the connector for that D+. With it I can easy access the connector without disturbing the rest of the wires, etc. Even if I touch that flag and rub it between my fingers a bit, the light comes on. Not sure what this is about.
Nevertheless, even though it is already a replacement unit, I have ordered a new VR. I should get it before the week is over.

I will verify the ground on the VR that is assembled to the bike right now. To see whether there are any issues with it.
The bushes are long enough and touch the rotor.

I will keep you posted.

chrishea

Post by chrishea »

So at the VR D+ to the brush? Maybe make up a jumper to eliminate a pinched wire, the conductor may be broken, or see if it’s high resistance?
Chris
Seattle

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

Before you spend more money, make sure the relays are grounded. Did you paint the frame recently? Try sanding the paint off - down to clean metal, the mounting spots under the voltage regulator and starter relay as well as the mounting points on the components. The light coming on when you check the voltage suggests a grounding problem.

Craig

CafePB

Post by CafePB »

Thanks for your further suggestions.
I have run a jumper wire between the VR housing to ground and the Starter Relay housing to ground, though the red light still does not work. I also measured the resistance between Df on the VR and the Brush holder at 0.5 Ohm – which I think is fine.

Should receive the new VR on Friday and hope that it will get the light working as it should.

CafePB

Post by CafePB »

Christmas, New Year, travels, In-laws, outlaws,…all did not help in getting the bike back together.
However I now got it done. The red light comes on and the bike starts fine.

The reason for all the trouble was a malfunctioning voltage regulator – even though it was replaced in the past with a unit from EME.
When I did some of the voltage and resistance tests, I found out that when I short the D+ connector of the VR to its housing, the red light comes on and the bike starts. With that I ordered a new VR and replaced it the with the one that was installed.

Quite an ordeal to find this out, but I am happy that I found it, together with your help.
Thanks Chris and Craig

Have a great 2024
Peter

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Nice troubleshooting!!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

cayoteboy

Post by cayoteboy »

Where is a good place to buy The ignition/key-on switch for an "81 R65? Thanks

cayoteboy

Post by cayoteboy »

I can relate. I own a 2005 Subaru Outback XT (Turbo) and a very seasoned veteran mechanic and great guy said that the boxer engines (opposed 4's) sometimes smoke a tiny bit and we have to check the oil no matter even if the engine is new because the oil can't drain vertically down into the oilpan. Minute amounts of oil remain in the bore at the low point. Alternately have you checked the quality of the current on that side?