If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Custom seat for Heinrich tank

Vega102

Custom seat for Heinrich tank

Post by Vega102 »

I am working on a R90/6 i recently purchased. I believe the tank is a Heinrich based on limited research. It is a large tank and the way it sits on the bike it compresses the front of the seat. Is there any recommendation for custom seat that would work better with this setup?
Attachments
IMG_1770.jpeg
75 R90/6

johnlacko

Re: Custom seat for Heinrich tank

Post by johnlacko »

Yes, your tank is absolutely a Heinrich. I had an identical tank on my own 1974 R90/6. I lived with that bike for decades, and can share some tips. First off, the rear tank mounting bracket has some adjustments. Make sure to use that and lift the tank up as much as you can. It that’s still not enough, use additional rubber washers on the base of the long bolt that goes through the tank into the toolbox area. I used gas tank rubbers from 1955-69 twins because they were about a 1/4” thick, but you might be able to source something locally. I didn’t like the look of the tank compressing the seat either, and was able to fine-tune that with the above process. jl
IMG_3908.jpeg

Vega102

Post by Vega102 »

Thanks for the quick response. I thought about adding more washers but if I do then the tank would not sit correctly on the small rubber supports on the tank bracket. Thinking i need to go 1/2” at least.
Attachments
IMG_1950.jpeg
IMG_1949.jpeg
75 R90/6

bmstan

Post by bmstan »

Whatever thickness of rubber washers you use to get the weight off the seat use the same thickness under the 2 support rubbers, with longer bolts, to maintain the current height ratio.

Vega102

Post by Vega102 »

Thanks for the feedback. I did end up going a different route, added nylon spacers after using a Dremel to sand the bottom to get a curve to fit the frame. Worked out perfect.
Attachments
IMG_1951.jpeg
75 R90/6