If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Just got a 1976 R60/6

Logan5

Just got a 1976 R60/6

Post by Logan5 »

So I just acquired a 1976 BMW r60/6. According to the previous owner it has been sitting in the basement for 5 years or so.

Any tips or advice on how I should go about checking everything over?

schrader7032

Re: Just got a 1976 R60/6

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome! Hope you enjoy the ride! I'm sure there's lots of idea, but clearly you should get new rubber on the wheels, drop all fluids and refill, check the torque on the head bolts and make sure the valve clearances are correct. New air and oil filters. I'm not sure I'd try and start the bike with the existing fluids...that just pushes the old stuff around. Drain as is, then maybe do another fluid change in a short period of time. New battery of course. Check timing. Then see if it starts. Go from there. The carbs will probably need some work but see how it runs...if it runs!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Was it stored with gas in the tank? If yes, drain and flush the tank. Check the lining to make sure it didn't break down or have rust start. If the inside of the tank looks good and you have fresh gas, you off to a good start.

Other than that, what Kurt suggested is the start. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

If going to drain/flush the tank, go ahead and drop the petcocks, to inspect and clean, while it's already empty.

And if thinking you many be using the bike much, or keeping it for a while, go ahead and start documenting what and when you perform any of the above maintenance, for future reference.
It's very helpful for determining what we need to do in the future; and the reason we all wish we'd started doing so much earlier in the past...
Best-
George

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

Logan;

After you change the fluids and filters, pull the plugs and crank the engine over in case gas, oil or other fluids leaked into the cylinders. (ST will tell you to hook up the plugs and ground them first. I would add cover them with a clean rag so you don't spit raw gas onto them.) Then put in new plugs.

Craig

srankin

Post by srankin »

LOL, you don't have to worry about grounding spark plugs on a point equipped bike, only the electronic ignition ones or ones that have had an electronic ignition added.

Was the basement dry? If not, the list of things to look for goes up. Cast iron cylinders can rust for example.

Where are you located perhaps I could give a hand? St.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Just to be safe, it would be best to ground the spark plugs regardless of the ignition system. If the spark energy has no place to go, it echoes back into the system and can damage the coils over time. It's easy to do!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Logan5

Post by Logan5 »

Thanks for all the advice I will get on it!

The basement was dry, and honestly the bike looks in pretty fabulous shape (considering).

The previous owner seemed to be fairly meticulous on maintenance (according to the wife), and the paperwork I received came with some detailed notes he had made over the years. So I am very hopeful.

I have all winter to tinker / restore / etc, since I won't be using the bike til next summer.

I live in Albany, NY but I am not quite ready to ask for help, just advice for now. But who knows if a month or two go by and I don't have this thing purring then I am not above asking for help ;).
IMG_4415.jpg

srankin

Post by srankin »

Storage in a dry basement would cut down the number of things I would be concerned about before a start up. Moisture is one of the killers in stored bikes. That along with freezing and thawing, (something you probably didn't have). causes rust.

Albany is a bit of a ride for me from Rochester. IF, you need an airhead friendly shop, Max, or my friend near me are available.

By the look of the pictures you won't need to do much work at all. Just remember to check the inside of the gas tank or as suggested pull the strainers. Even in a dry basement old gas will form varnish and gum things up. Good luck, St.

Logan5

Post by Logan5 »

Thanks again for all the advice. I drained the fuel the inside of the tank was good. One of the petcocks wasn't working that little 5-hole gasket inside was toast. I managed to cut a new one out of same gasket material I had on hand. Checked both strainers on both petcocks. Some of the fuel lines were cracked so I replaced those.

Replaced all the fluids. The gear oil, drive shaft oil, and final drive oil are all the same? I ended up using some synthetic 80/90 I had on hand.

Pulled the plugs, they were fouled. Cleaned them up and rested them on the head with solid ground contact. Turned it over, saw good spark.

After that I got her started and I been running her 10 minutes or so every day now. Sounding real nice. Couldn't help myself so I took a quick ride around the block. Feeling good.

Have an intermittent electrical issue where when I put on the headlight all the lights go out, including the running lights. It's not happening right now but it was for a few days.

Also I think one of the float valves is bad, I was slowly leaking fuel from the carb overflow valve. I popped off the carb cover and tested the valve and it needed to go just a little higher to cut off the fuel, so I ever so slightly bent the the float balloons down a touch. Seemed to do the trick but I foresee cleaning that carb out soon. But maybe there was just a little old gas gum in there and now that I am running plenty of fresh gas through it'll clean itself out.

It's getting colder around here, and I started the bike today and noticed a good amount of condensation dripping off the exhaust.

So my big question is, now that the bike is being stored in an unheated garage, so it'll be freezing and thawing many times over the winter, what do I do? Should I be starting the bike on the regular?