If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

What can you post 84 users tell me about 85 to 95 Bikes?

srankin

What can you post 84 users tell me about 85 to 95 Bikes?

Post by srankin »

I am relatively ignorant of post 84 airhead bikes. With the wreck of my 78RS, I am itching to replace it and am looking at various airheads. I realize there is a difference between a 78 RS and a 85 to 95 RS, What can you owners of the 85 to 95 tell me about your bikes? What should I look for, avoid? Likes, dislikes? Thanks, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

Darryl.Richman

Re: What can you post 84 users tell me about 85 to 95 Bikes?

Post by Darryl.Richman »

The single sided swingarm bikes are stiffer and handle nicer. The fork legs are beefier. The cast wheels are lighter than the older spoke or snowflake styles.

OTOH, the highest HP is from the mid 70s bikes and then, as more clean air equipment was added, the HP numbers declined a bit.

In the early 90s, BMW put the K bike style paddle turn signal switches onto the boxers.

I still miss my 1985 R80. I had it set up like an R90S with short bars and the bikini fairing, and it was great for touring. I put 84k miles on it before moving to an oilhead...
--Darryl Richman

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Discussed elsewhere, the '85-94 bikes had the circlip issue. Not a huge issue, but they left the factory without the circlip on the output shaft of the transmission. It can be added if it appears that the bearing begins to walk off the shaft.

http://largiader.com/articles/circlip/
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

cwf

Post by cwf »

I did a lot of miles on pre- and post-84 twins but riding in central London and the twisty roads of the UK might be different from the US.
The post-84 bikes, with smaller front wheel, lighter flywheel and swinging arm not swinging fork were definitely better. They had more nimble handling, the gear change was lighter and sweeter, taking the rear wheel out was easier and fixing punctures in tubeless tyres was a 10 minute job instead of 25 minute.
Now that they are all ancient, like me, I prefer the more deliberate gear change and handling of the older bikes. No need for speed, just enjoy the quality and old-school feel.

Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.